Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Aircards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowsilence
I <3 Chevrolet

PostPosted: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 19:02:55    Post Subject: Aircards Reply with quote View Single Post

I travel around a lot, state to state, country to country ect. I was curious about Aircards. I see the Sierra AirCard 880 has tri-band UMTS/HSPA and quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE network access for roaming on high-speed networks worldwide. But I haven't seen much on it. I see the device, but how does it enable worldwide service? Monthly fee through this company? How does that work leaving one provider and going to a completely forgein provider? If anyone has any insight that'd be awesome.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 19:24:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

You really can't take one card and go from one provider to another. At least not in my experience...however there is a new type of card that you can do that, but they are still pretty limited in the providers that are using it...I'm drawing a blank on what it's called, but it'll come to sooner or later LOL

Your best bet would be to find one that is available in the countries you want to use it in. If it's not available in one or two, then when you get there, you should be able to find a local provider to "rent" an aircard for shorttime.

----Edit----

I knew it wouldnt' take long LOL Gobi is what I was thinking of. It's a new system of aircards that allow you to flash it for different vendors, providing they are configured for Gobi.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 21:44:19    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

You pay for it. I had to recently switch my work one from AT&T to Sprint because AT&T would charge per-min rate's in Canada, but we could get an all inclusive rate with Sprint.
mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 10:38:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

We use Sprint air cards here. We have a worldwide plan. Other than it basically being dial-up, it works great.
I <3 Chevrolet

PostPosted: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 02:20:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'll have to look into it more. Thank you for the replies and information.
Yourrealboss
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 05:00:09    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Our work uses the Verizon cards, the coverage is awesome but the VZ access manager software that comes with it can be finicky.
Han001
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 13:20:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Get a blackberry instead, you can tether it to a laptop for internet or use it as a stand-alone. Much more features than just an aircard.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: