Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Small Form Factor Build
Thinking of switching from a full tower case (ATX MB)
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 14:48:38    Post Subject: Small Form Factor Build Reply with quote View Single Post

So just last week I helped build a Core i7 computer for a co-worker. It was fun to build, but hard to see it go when we were done. So I've been thinking of upgrading from my obsolete Rolling Eyes 775 system (in signature).

Instead of using a full size ATX board and mid to full tower case I have been thinking of a micro ATX board and small form factor case. Previously I didn't like SFF systems mainly because I never found an mATX board with all of the features I wanted. I did a quick search and see that there are three 1366 socket mATX boards, two met my requirements.

I started a wishlist and need some other opinions besides those voices in my head Bang Head

list so far
Quote:
SFF Case
LIAN LI PC-V351B Black Aluminum MicroATX - link

Motherboard - Sitting on my desk
EVGA X58 SLI Micro - link

Processor - Sitting on my desk
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core - link

Power Supply - Ordered
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 700W - link

Video - Already have this, might upgrade in the near future
eVGA GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 - link

Optical/Hard Drives - Already have SATA drives to use

parts in question

Cooler - need to pick a case first to get dimensions
Cooljag Falcon 2 Quad Heatpipe PWM CPU Cooler - link
Scythe SHURIKEN Rev B 3-Heatpipe Universal CPU Cooler - link

Thermalright AXP-140 Low Profile 6-Heatpipe Aluminum & Copper CPU Heatsink - link
Noctua NH-C12P 120mm SSO CPU Cooler - link

Edits:
06-11-09 10:50PM - Chose Lian Li SFF Case
06-15-09 1:20PM - Added Noctua NH-C12P
06-23-09 10:43AM - Decided with the ASUS Rampage II Gene MB / Removed DFI LANPARTY JR X58-T3H6
07-10-09 1:56PM - Removed ASUS Rampage II Gene / Added EVGA X58 SLI Micro
07-20-09 1:08PM - Added CM PSU

Last edited by Modulok on Mon, 20 Jul 2009 13:08:33; edited 4 times in total
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

SuperChip64
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 00:20:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Are you wanting a SFF (ala Shuttle) or a mATX Mini/Micro Tower, or a Slimline (Like HP's or Dell's)?

Reason I'm asking is important, because a SFF comes with it's own motherboard, except for very few 'larger' Medium-Form-Factor machines. Most MicroATX Cases probably won't fit a GeForce 8000-series (And certainly won't fit a 9000/GTS/GTX Series card). Slimline cases also present their own unique properties - either you're stuck with Low-Profile video cards, or a convoluted NLX-like riser card.

SC
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 09:24:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Check out the Lian Li case from the first post...most likely that's what I will go with (unless anyone shows me a better case that will work).
It will fit a large card, from what I found a GTX295 is under 11 inches (300mm ~ 11.8 inches)

What I like about this case and SFF computer is that if I decide to hook it up to my home theater for some big screen gaming it will not look out of place.
x.clay
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 09:50:19    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Silverstone has some nice SFF cases (SUGO series) that you might want to check out as well.
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 10:07:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I actually did look at Silverstone's SFF cases (and had the latest on my list), but decided it might have been too small. Not having a MB tray was a major turn off as well.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 10:14:29    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

You bought the Lian Li already?
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 10:40:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Haven't bought anything (except stuff already owned).
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

SuperChip64
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 13:15:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Of course, reading way too quickly with way too little coffee, I didn't see the Lian-Li in the first post. D'oh!

The only issue I could foresee with that case is squeezing a GTX295 - depending on where the PCI-e power connectors are on the card. Most I've seen are at the top of the card, so you might need to consider your power connector into the length/height factor. Your current videocard will have no problems.

It's a very nice case.
mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 20:25:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

you might want to check out this board as well:
MSI x58M
I personally have it and it rocks! Very good layout and a bunch of nice OC tools (that I'll be playing with this week).

EDIT: Looks like the Egg deactivated the ASUS board Confused

Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 20:48:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I saw that MSI board on Newegg, but it was out of stock at the time. I also noticed the ASUS board deactivated as well, no clue why though Confused

I read that eVGA has an mATX board due out soon, so I will probably wait to see what that looks like before I make a decision on the motherboard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: