Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Sapphire Toxic Radeon HD4870 512MB Graphics Card
http://www.bigbruin.com/2008/toxic4870_1
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 06:33:54    Post Subject: Sapphire Toxic Radeon HD4870 512MB Graphics Card Reply with quote View Single Post

In terms of single GPU performance, the Radeon HD4870 set the bar pretty high, and the Sapphire Toxic Radeon HD4870 512MB graphics card had its work cut out for it to do much better. With a factory overclock of 30MHz on the GPU and 100MHz on the memory, the Toxic version generally did perform better, but not always by much.

Last edited by Doctor Feelgood on Thu, 23 Oct 2008 21:32:32; edited 2 times in total
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

svr
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 07:50:41    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Very nice review but I would to know where can I get this bios update to lower fan speed or can you just do this with rivaturner or ATI CCC?

I didnt find any info on sapphire's site or google.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 08:03:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi - I haven't looked around online to see where it could be downloaded, but I assumed it would be available by now.

What I have is an e-mail with the ATI WinFlash v2.0.15 utility and BIOS file 85VCTOXI.008

If anyone wants to try it, please contact me, and remember that Bigbruin.com is not responsible for the outcome! Grin
FrozenGpu
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 16:40:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

On Newegg.com there is a HD 4870 form Sapphire which has 1gb of vram, it also has a black shroud, different colored heatpipes, this version is not even on the manufacturer's website. I asked newegg they seem oblivious to the fact that I was asking if it has the "Vapor-X cooler, SAPPHIRE’s implementation of Vapor Chamber Technology (VCT)."

I figured you might know something, do you?
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 18:32:04    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi... This one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102801

Just looked that up. Don't see mention of the Vapor-X, but it does have a similar heatpipe configuration. Has a reference speed GPU and memory, and I would guess this is like their stock speed 4870 but with better cooling (the one I reviewed with the typical cooler got kinda loud and was ALWAYS over 80C.

I'll ask. Grin
FrozenGpu
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 00:17:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Wave

Thank you for looking into that, b/c I figure for $10 bucks more, why not get a HD4870 w/ the vapor chamber cooling technology w/ 1gb of ram. I really do not need the included software that comes w/ the toxic 512mb hd4870.

I figure that those heat pipes might even be nickel-plated copper b/c I have seen many high-end cooler companies do that, b/c it does clean up the look, but now you don't know what is copper, and what isn't.

Grin
FrozenGpu
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 01:10:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I got an email back from Sapphire tech saying this:

Quote:
Only the Toxic version is using the Vapor chamber technology fan type.

Tech

Sapphire Technology
Tech Support Center

280 Paseo Tesoro
Walnut CA 91789
Fax. 1-909-594-9771

I am a little dissapointed but 512mb vram is really more than enough, maybe at 2500*1600 you might really need more, but I figure at 1920*1200 I should be ok for most games. I'd rather pick up a 4870 w/ the vapor chamber cooling technology just b/c nothing tickles my fancy like cooler running components.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Big B
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 01:31:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Jason wrote:
Hi... This one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102801

Just looked that up. Don't see mention of the Vapor-X, but it does have a similar heatpipe configuration. Has a reference speed GPU and memory, and I would guess this is like their stock speed 4870 but with better cooling (the one I reviewed with the typical cooler got kinda loud and was ALWAYS over 80C.

I'll ask. Grin

Hello, I have this card coming to me on Thrusday,I hope it works good,I have not had a ATI card since the 9200 card.Will it be ok? Wave

Also sorry for being away for so long, Work and upgrades to pc kept me away.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 11:36:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Should be a great card, even without the Vapor X. The heatpipe cooler has to be better than the reference design, and the performance will be solid regardless.
Big B
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 15:54:28    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well it installed and the CP says it at 58C that is no OC as i do not OC so 58C i guess is good if the one you tested were in the 80's
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Video All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: