Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
doh! Broke the bank today..
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 18:04:59    Post Subject: doh! Broke the bank today.. Reply with quote View Single Post

I was given an 8+ mile fiber project at the end of July to engineer. Start at the CO, then go 4 miles to first remote switch, turn north and go 3 miles to a cell tower, then go another mile to the last remote switch. The Network Planner estimated and funded $188K for it.

Well, the total ended up at $581K this morning when I priced it. oops.. somebody forgot to figure in the cost of the 70 poles that needed changed out due to clearances, rot and physical damage when budgeting.. Or the placement of 1/2 mile of poleline where there was no plant to begin with.

2 weeks into the design I called up the planner to warn him that he might want to pad the estimates a bit and figure in for pole work.. ..I got the reply, "well, I'm usually pretty close on estimates." Which normally he is, not this time.

I swear I heard my direct boss', and their boss' @sses clamp shut with a sound similar of thunder when they opened up the work packet this morning. lol

Of the $75Mil I was given to spend on getting DSL to every door by 2015, I just whacked a fat portion of it right there.

right hand corner

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

heylinder
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 20:21:09    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I can't read your pic but I'm guessing that it says you saved them some money and that you'll get a bonus out of this to make my Christmas present even bigger .... right? Wink
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 20:31:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

clicky on it, then clicky on it again to full size it. lol

Didn't save them anything.. lol they did that neglecting poles for the last 40-80 years. I literally found some poles and anchors by tripping over them in high grass and brush. I was on my cell phone with one boss discussing the job while in the field, I mentioned to her that there should be a pole somewhere nearby - then whooops.

I forgot to mention that they will be dishing out to a farmer too for damaged crops(corn) for 5 poles rotting off and falling over then wiping out about a 1500ftx10ft patch. ...that poor old man wasn't happy at all.

And doesn't include 4-5 weeks of my wages & mileage, wages for 4 drafters for 2 weeks, the planner's wage either.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 21:42:19    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Laughing Well there goes your next 10 raises!
heylinder
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 21:50:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dr. EvilCheeze wrote:
Laughing Well there goes your next 10 raises!

Yeah, and there goes my Christmas present ..... dayumm! Wink Wink

p.s. I only ckicky once. Me beautiful not smart sometimes Grin
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 22:38:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

yeah.. there goes my pay raises for awhile. and everyone other Verizon engineer in the state too. lol

I have a justification meeting in the morning. Luckily enough I was smart enough to take pics with my digicam and cell phone to show how f'd up the poles are.

3 coworkers and predecessors turned down doing that job in the last 5 years. ..was just too much for them. My present coworkers are jokingly harassing me that now they will be expected to do the impossible with not enough time. I got the nickname "superman" now in the office.
Charlie
DeathStar

PostPosted: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 04:05:28    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

You are going to be a very popular guy at the morning meeting... Laughing
Boo Boo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> The Den All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: