Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
ECS A780GM-A Black Series AMD 780G Motherboard
ECS A780GM-A Black Series Motherboard
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 30 May 2008 06:20:30    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The ECS A780GM-A Black Series AMD 780G motherboard wound up being quite interesting. It offers quite a few appealing features, such as a back panel full of useful connections, onboard HD audio and video with HDMI output, an integrated RAID controller, support for AMD's Hybrid CrossFire and their new Phenom processors. - The Review
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

mabran
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:51:28    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Not a bad review, but one fault I find is that the lack of DDR2 1066 support is not a fault of the board but rather a byproduct of the processor having the memory controller integrated.

If you must fault this board, you must fault every single board as the outcome will be the same. Memory support is limited to the processor used and is not tied to the motherboard as it has no memory controller.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:58:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi!

Yeah - I will admit to being a bit of a AMD AM2 noob. It has been a long time since I used an AMD motherboard.

I guess what ECS should do (and all other brands), is make it very clear what you have to do to get 1066MHz support. The box doesn't specify, the BIOS doesn't grey out the option, and it wasn't until after the review was completed that the ECS product page was updated to add more than the original "Whether 1066 MHz memory speed is supported depends on the CPU being used". The update on their site makes it more clear that it is AM2+ only, but they should go further to list model numbers, in my opinion. I may be a noob, but somebody with even less info on the topic may see one of these in a store or online, buy it since the updated info isn't on older boxes or store web pages, and be S.O.L. because they don't have the right equipment and can't return the board...

Grin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Motherboards All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: