Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
PC Toys SystemMaxx Multifunction Panel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 19:22:09    Post Subject: PC Toys SystemMaxx Multifunction Panel Reply with quote View Single Post

Check out the Bigbruin.Com review: **HERE**

And share your comments / questions in this thread... Thanks!

Last edited by Doctor Feelgood on Tue, 02 May 2006 16:53:16; edited 2 times in total
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Bert
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 06:58:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

gonne be honest with this one ...

Dont think this was usefull review ?

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 08:26:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Bert wrote:
gonne be honest with this one ...

Dont think this was usefull review ?

Confused The review wasn't useful? How about being honest (and helpful), and explaining that...
Bert
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:53:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

its not an apliance that many would buy ?
It's i think an item many havent heard of before and would never consider it to buy it .

Revieuw is usefull when you want to buy something .
Like many popular heatsinks etc ...

hope you understand me Smile
english isnt my strong point

T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:51:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I thought it was a decent review of a fairly simple device
I think it covered everything.
Bert if people don't see reviews they may not know about it. seems pretty good for the price
Bert
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 18:28:18    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

idd , maybe ....
Was just my oppinion though .
Maybe he could have spend the money on something else ?

I never said the review itself was bad ? The product was bit unlucky chosen i thought .

Alan van der Vyver
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 09:22:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The review misses an important point that makes the product pretty much useless for me: There is no supplied cable to connect the USB ports or the Firewire port to the motherboard. You are expected to run the cable through the case and out the back to take up two of your existing USB ports (or Firewire port) on the rear of the case.

Since most motherboards have extra USB connectore, this is not what most people would expect. It is certainly not what I expected. The other similar products I examined had cables to the motherboard. I tried purchasing an inexpensive one, just to get its cable and then discovered that these things are all wired slightly differently on the panel end, so I could not use it.

Furthermore, PCToys do not provide a wiring diagram to enable one to rearrange the cabling and they use all pins, whereas most others have one blocked off - thus preventing their use on another panel.

I did find a dedicated internal cable, but two of them cost nearly as much as the panel. In short, this panel is totally unsuitable for adding USB or Firewire ports from the motherboard. It can only be used (very inelegantly) with existing external sockets.

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 09:31:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hello Alan van der Vyver... Welcome!

Although he didn't go into great detail, Bill (the reviewer) did list the issue you mentioned as one of two "CONS" he experienced with the device: "Would be nice if USB and Firewire cable could be attached to the headers on MB’s."

People have different needs/tastes and all products won't appeal to all people... Having a choice of both types of connectors would be nice, but I do know a handful of people who would want them the way they are, if they were to buy this device...
Alan van der Vyver
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 11:19:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I apologize to the reviewer for missing the item at the end, but I do think this is a big enough issue for many people that it should be emphasized.

I absolutely agree that the best approach is to provide cables for the sockets and for the motherboard headers. Failing that, I think PCToys should make it clear on the box that they do not include cables with motherboard headers.

chumpy515
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 14:00:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have found that the Vantec Nexus Multi-Function Panel IS different than this PCToys device. The difference is that the Nexus USB and Firewire front panel ports connect directly to the motherboard.

http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/misc/vantec_nxp-101/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Cases All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: