Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Looking for freeware for file transfer....
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NHP
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 18:35:19    Post Subject: Looking for freeware for file transfer.... Reply with quote View Single Post

We have a new external hard drive and we would like to transfer the majority of data from our home computer over to this new hard drive to free up space on the computer.

Major files that we would like to tranfer are pictures, videos and all our itunes songs/vid.

So my question is what is the best way to go about doing this? Should I just copy the files over to the new drive or are there any freeware programs out there that wil make thsi even eaiser???

Also what do I need to watch out for in terms of moving the itunes files over to an external hard drive?

Oh and it might be good for us to just back-up the computer as a whole if there is software out there for that and you think that is the best option...
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Charlie
DeathStar

PostPosted: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 19:02:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

What operating system are you using?
NHP
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 19:13:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Windows XP Home Edition
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 19:14:41    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well the copy function in Windows or other operating systems should work just fine. But personally, being the command line interface lover I am, I use rsync. It's a Linux/UNIX application, but can be used on Windows with the use of Cygwin.

I use it to keep files synced between my mom's Windows work computers and my home Linux server for backups. It's fast for file transfers and very good to use when you want to keep the external drive in sync with your computer if you're using it for backups.

Here's the howto for the Windows rsync I used:
http://www.gaztronics.net/rsync.php

NHP
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 19:22:20    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Not looking to go that route.
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 20:58:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

SyncBack Free Edition...use The Google and try it out
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 22:22:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

SyncBack looks like a good choice.

OOO And B|F if you ever recommend Cygwin to anyone again, I will find you cover you in butter and honey take you to the zoo and drop you off in the bear cage.... Laughing I HATE Cygwin! Worst software EVER!

You want to do unix commands in Windows? Use : http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/. You want to run a Unix/Linux program in windows... DON'T!!! Run in on Unux/Linux!
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 12:16:29    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi NHP! Grin

I use SuncBack as well. The interface may look like it has too many options, but it does make things very easy. You can setup a schedule for backing up files, so it will automatically do it weekly, monthly, whatever... and only overwrite files that changed or add new files. That saves a bunch of time over copying everything again.

Not sure on iTunes copying... Still never used that and never owned an iPod! Laughing
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 13:04:14    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Doctor Feelgood wrote:
Not sure on iTunes copying... Still never used that and never owned an iPod! Laughing

On that note... the one I reviewed for the site. DIED. Just won't turn on any more, and I just bought Misty one for X-mas. Bang Head
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 11:00:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dr. EvilCheeze wrote:
OOO And B|F if you ever recommend Cygwin to anyone again, I will find you cover you in butter and honey take you to the zoo and drop you off in the bear cage.... Laughing I HATE Cygwin! Worst software EVER!

What's wrong with it? I would have used actual Linux on the computers, but the people who use them would be lost in oblivion.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: