Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
G+ or N Wireless Networking
What would be the better upgrade option?
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 10:05:02    Post Subject: G+ or N Wireless Networking Reply with quote View Single Post

I want to get a new wireless router and 2 PCI wireless cards.

Was thinking of just getting one of the super fast G MIMO type routers, and then making the two computers I really care about have matched cards to get the 108Mbps... The other laptops and what not can keep using their regular G cards.

But then I saw that some N-Draft routers weren't that much more money (if any) and take you to 300Mbps. They will also let the older G cards connect, so that is a plus.

Ideas? Suggestions? See any good deals?

Thanks!
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 10:34:57    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Personally, I'd go with the N routers. The extra signal strength and speed is very helpful.

Just have to keep in mind that N routers are still considered Beta as I don't believe N has been ratified yet.
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 11:04:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

From what I remember reading somewhere, N routers gave stronger signal further away than closer. Might want to check that, and your placement of your router and wireless PCs.

If the N routers are closely priced, are the adapters too?
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 11:50:49    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

N is a good way to piss off your neighbors, screw up your cordless phones, and let the college kid down the street run his warez site from your wireless.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 12:11:04    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Cordless Phones? As in 2.4GHz? Come on... 5.8Ghz!

And I think I would bother to secure it, too. Laughing

But, I am leaning back towards G+, or whatever you want to call it based on some deals I saw. Plus, I need one PCI card to be low profile, and I just can't find an N card that isn't full height.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 17:37:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Doctor Feelgood wrote:
Cordless Phones? As in 2.4GHz? Come on... 5.8Ghz!

And I think I would bother to secure it, too. Laughing

But, I am leaning back towards G+, or whatever you want to call it based on some deals I saw. Plus, I need one PCI card to be low profile, and I just can't find an N card that isn't full height.

Good on the phone (that's what I use too), use WPA-2 (as WPA can be broke... it's hard but can be done).

Not a fan of buying a PRE standard.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 16:11:19    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

So I bought some G Turbo wireless gear... Wish I hadn't. So frustrating. Again, probably all Vista's fault. One machine works well, the other doesn't.

An XP machine is able to connect to the router at 108Mbps and speedtest.net shows 15188 kbps down and 2761 kbps up. OK, but not as good as I hoped since hardwired 100Mbps would get close to 30000 kbps download.

But, the annoying part is that I can not connect that fast on Vista, even though the computers are right next to each other and the same distance from the router. I only get 54Mbps and speedtest.net shows a 7649 kbps download, but 4162 kbps upload.

Just what I need... Another little distraction to waste my time.

Bang Head
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 18:26:18    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Vista sucks... Laughing

My guess would be the driver isn't all that great under Vista, and possibly it doesn't support the 108mbps. Wouldn't surprise me.

You are also the only person I know that has to worry about the speed of his wireless connection to his internet connection... Really I hate you.
JimBowy

PostPosted: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 18:48:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

stop whining!
your wireless speed is WAY faster as it is than my hard line

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 21:08:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yeah - definitely driver related. They (D-Link) have plenty of XP drivers, but just one Vista driver. It includes their little utility which I believe enables high speed in XP, so I installed it on my Vista machine, too. It wasn't until I tried and failed about 4 times to make it work that I read that you aren't supposed to use the utility with Vista... WTF - why does it exist? So, with the bare drivers on Vista I get no bang for my buck!!

Last edited by Doctor Feelgood on Thu, 18 Oct 2007 21:28:34; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: