Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Just My Luck
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 22:12:53    Post Subject: Just My Luck Reply with quote View Single Post

So... My motherboard has two sets of four SATA connectors. One set is 1.5Mbps and the other set is SATA 3Mbps. I buy a set of four 3Mbps drives (250GB enterprise class Maxtors with 16MB cache, 5 year warranties, etc).

Previously I had only had a couple drives and never noticed... one of the four 3.0Mbps connectors is cracked. There goes the potential for a four drive RAID array.

Bang Head

This board has two SATA connectors on the edge of the board, fairly unprotected, and no socket around them... go figure, prone to breakage.

See 'em over there on the far right?

So, I get to put my new fast drives on the slow bus in order to do RAID 0+1. Wheee......
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 23:07:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I absolutely hate the current trend of putting connectors in that direction.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 23:12:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well, this board is 2+ years old, so I think the connectors have gotten better. Most at least have that small socket around the SATA connectors to keep a cable from bending at the base and doing what I guess happened here.

Here is my 'new' board that has the sockets like I think most do now...

link
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 23:25:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Maybe they have gotten better, still don't like that placement of them. Just my personal opinion of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: