Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Front Connection Cable Extensions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 10:00:29    Post Subject: Front Connection Cable Extensions Reply with quote View Single Post

I just moved a motherboard into an old server case. Got all the main components connected and what not, and then I notice... The cables for the front panel connections (power, reset, LEDs, etc) don't reach! Laughing

The case is pretty big, but the cable aren't all that long, and this motherboard (for some stupid reason) has the front panel connection headers near the back of the motherboard, under the last expansion slot.

So, I am looking to see if there are such things as extension cables for this, or if someone has a good idea to make them cheap and easy.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Telexen
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 10:18:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Easiest solution would just be to cut them and solder/tape/heatsrhink pieces of wire to reconnect them and make them longer.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 10:21:19    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi, thanks. Yeah, that is one solution that crossed my mind, but I'd rather not get into that in order to keep it clean... and to avoid the 10 cuts/splices I'd have to make.

Maybe I need to look in to my scrap heap in the closet for wires from an old case, etc...
Telexen
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 10:36:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The way to to it and keep it clean is to solder them together then use heatshrink tubing over the solder points. You can pick up some at Radioshack for pretty cheap and just heat it with a lighter.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 11:20:56    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

That also requires patience and a steady hand. Two things I lack! Laughing
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 11:53:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I vote for a new MB, like the one you sold me that I had no issues with, and works well with that server case. Wink
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 11:58:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yeah. OK. I'll go back to my other server case before that happens. I just like this one since it can be locked up and can have a soild side panel.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: