Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Wall Mounted LCD Monitor ????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:29:26    Post Subject: Wall Mounted LCD Monitor ???? Reply with quote View Single Post

I hoping someone out there can point me i the right direction on this one.

The Project:
Move my kids media center computer into their closet and run the speaker wires, vga cable, power and IR cable through the wall to a wall mounted LCD monitor. This really doesn't seem that hard, but I would like to avoid having wires hanging out of the wall if I need to remove the lcd, if you know what I mean. I've spent a bit of time searching google but must not be using the correct name for what I'm looking for. Basically I would like an outlet type box that I can mount on both sides of the wall and plug the cables into that. Does that make any sense? Has anyone seen something like this? Does anyone know what something like this would be called?

My alternative is to just mount an electrical box with a cover plate that I can tuck the wires into and close, but that just doesn't seem very elegant.

I would prefer either a DVI or VGA connection, but I also have the option of using S-Video. I'm not sure how the S-Video connection (540p max) would affect the videos though. They are all encoded 720x576, but I'm guessing the monitor would interpolate.

Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:35:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Look down the page I think you might want something like this?

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI_wall-plate.html
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:57:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

That Ram thing is pretty cool. I did something like that, but used these white plastic junction boxes with modular faces from Home Depot that allow a variety of connections to complete mine. It didn't allow video, so that I just used a pass through with a rubber grommet squeezing the cable as it passes through the panel.

A pic from when I set this up last winter (that PC isn't there now, just a DVD/VCR combo:

The arm is from Newegg... Great thing! Allows the monitor to come out 18" and pivot 90 degrees in either direction. So, in general it just faces the couch across from it, but it can be turned to face the open area on the other end of the room if anyone wanted to workout to a DVD or for the kids to play on the floor and watch.
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 15:13:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Cool thanks.
Searching the web is only marginally effective if you don't actually know what to call the item you are looking for. Smile

That wall plate is pretty close to what I was looking for, although based on cost, I may follow BB's lead and go the home depot route. I'll post pics when it's finally done.

Thanks again

**edit** -added what I found by searching for "multimedia wall plates"
I'm going to go with 2 of each of the following:
http://www.techtoolsupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1575&strVarSel=&strCompare=
http://www.techtoolsupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=958&strVarSel=&strCompare=
http://www.techtoolsupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=959&strVarSel=&strCompare=

that should cover everything except power and I'll just add an outlet behind the lcd for that.

Last edited by acruxksa on Mon, 17 Sep 2007 15:49:31; edited 1 time in total
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 15:27:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Ooh, I may need to upgrade. The thing I used has the little square openings like the two squares in the bottom of this...

http://www.techtoolsupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1575&strVarSel=&strCompare=

I'll have to combine them and add video... Grin
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 23:57:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I just received the parts I ordered. I had to mod them slightly with the dremel cut off wheel in order to get both the 3.5mm jack and the usb jack to fit in the two cutouts on the bottom of the vga plate, but after that they do fit, although it's still a bit tight.

I'm going to try to start this project tomorrow and will get some pics. I'm looking forward to it. I replaced my 20" Dell wide screen lcd with a Chimei 22" wide screen lcd and will be mounting the Dell 20" on the kids wall, with the included dell speaker. Should be pretty clean assuming I can find a wall mount for it. Worst case, I have to make some sort of adapter plate. It's likely that I'll end up cutting a pretty large hole in the drywall to install some sort of re-enforcement for the lcd mount, but who knows I might get lucky and find a stud close to where I want to mount it.

Can't be too sturdy with the little ones, for all I know they will try and use the screen as a pull up bar or something............you just never know when it comes to kids. My parents tell me I've got exactly what I deserve and as time goes by I'm beginning to understand what they meant. GrinGrinGrin:

Also, that's a pretty clean install BB, what size lcd is that? The Dell that I'm going to be using is similar in that it has a speaker bar underneath the lcd, but at 20 inches it's probably a bit smaller than the TV lcd you posted. Did you make the cut out shelf behind it? What HTPC case is that?

Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 12:25:09    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

acruxksa wrote:
Also, that's a pretty clean install BB, what size lcd is that? The Dell that I'm going to be using is similar in that it has a speaker bar underneath the lcd, but at 20 inches it's probably a bit smaller than the TV lcd you posted. Did you make the cut out shelf behind it? What HTPC case is that?

It is a 27" Insignia (Best Buy) TV / Monitor. The walls in that room had the recessed shelves built in, but they were kind of wasted. They start at about 5'6", and go to the ceiling. So, I added an electric outlet, cable, and my media connections to make good use of it. I have the monitor mounted so the top edge is slightly higher than the shelf to help conceal cables, too.

The case is a BTX system I used to have... A Cooler Master HTPC case.

And I know what you mean on the arm strength... Mine doesn't have a very broad base, so all the weight is in one small area... And supported by a bunch of big toggle bolts, since there wasn't a stud in the area. With it fully extended it can support itself just fine, but I fear the day someone thinks to jump up and grab onto it!
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: