Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
ASUS P4C800 Bios upgrade?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mako88sb
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 15:35:39    Post Subject: ASUS P4C800 Bios upgrade? Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi. First posting on this site and I appreciate any help that I can get. I recently bought a 3.4 Prescott cpu for my P4C800 Deluxe MB with a 2.4 cpu. I installed it it along with a new Gigabyte G-Power Cooler Pro. Well, at power up, I got "cpu failure due to overclocking" I had run the auto update for my MB but no new updates reported so I assumed my BIOS was okay. The manual says this MB would be Prescott compatible once those chips where available but after checking on the internet a bit, it seems it may only be good for up to 3.2. However, some say up to 3.4. Which one is correct? If 3.4, where can I get the Bios upgrade to suit it? I'm somewhat new to this so hopefully I'm making sense here.

I re-installed my old chip for now and with the new HS and fan, I'm able to use the ASUS overclocking option to get 3.14 Ghz which is probably good enough for me but since I do have this new chip, it would be great if I can use it.

Forgot to mention that after putting the new chip back in, I keep getting "cpu test failed" at start up but everything runs okay. how would I get rid of that message. Thanks.

Rob
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 16:16:14    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi, welcome.

Do you know what BIOS you have installed?

This page has the list of downloads for that board, and it shows the 1016 version as the latest.

ASUS P4C800 Downloads

But don't believe that... Laughing

Because if you go to their processor support page it says you may need BIOS rev 1017 or 1021.005 to operate that CPU...

ASUS P4C800 Deluxe CPU Support Page

I don't know exactly what you have, but I would get that latest BIOS since it seems to cover it all.
mako88sb
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 16:58:38    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks for the help. I got this when I did a diag. : BIOS Ver: 08.00.09

I don't know if that seems right but thats what it shows. I tried accessing the downloads and I can get to the 1017 but don't see the 1021. Even when I click on the 1017, I get a blank screen that says "done" down by the bottom. Is there another site where I maybe able to download from? Thanks.

Rob
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 17:06:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I guess my link was redirected... Was direct to the page. Anyway, here is a link to the BIOS Zip file...

1021-005

And this should be to the page...

LINK

Looks like 1021-005 is the only one available, regardless of what one you pick.
mako88sb
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 11:29:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

okay, I downloaded v1021.005 but found ASUS update wouldn't recognize it, and that I need AFUDOS v2.26. I got that downloaded and extracted but I'm stuck now. How do you get this to work? I tried clicking on it but all I get is a small DOS window that closes right away. Tried dragging & dropping the 1021 file onto it with same results. Thanks again.

Rob
slugbug
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 13:15:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Was your previous cpu overclocked? Your bios may be trying to use those setting on the new cpu. That might explain the error message.
Try resetting your motherboards cmos using the jumper.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 13:21:45    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

mako88sb wrote:
okay, I downloaded v1021.005 but found ASUS update wouldn't recognize it, and that I need AFUDOS v2.26. I got that downloaded and extracted but I'm stuck now. How do you get this to work? I tried clicking on it but all I get is a small DOS window that closes right away. Tried dragging & dropping the 1021 file onto it with same results. Thanks again.

Rob

You are using a BIOS updated from within Windows? Make sure you have the Windows version (if available), it sounds like you might be using the DOS updater to be run from a boot disk.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

mako88sb
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 13:36:28    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

slugbug wrote:
Was your previous cpu overclocked? Your bios may be trying to use those setting on the new cpu. That might explain the error message.
Try resetting your motherboards cmos using the jumper.

Okay, I never thought of that. Thanks

Rob
mako88sb
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 13:38:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

[quote="Doctor Feelgood"]
mako88sb wrote:

Rob

You are using a BIOS updated from within Windows? Make sure you have the Windows version (if available), it sounds like you might be using the DOS updater to be run from a boot disk.[/quot

Yes it is a DOS updater. It doesn't look like a windows one is available. I found the main afudos site that explains how to do it so I'll give it a try.

Rob
mako88sb
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:56:58    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well, I think I got mixed up a bit. Looks like v1021.005 can be updated using the ASUS utility so I updated the upgrade utly but I'm running late for work and will have to try it later. Just curious about the statement "Flashing the Bios". What exactly does this mean? Is it a separate step used during Bios upgrading? Thanks.

Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: