Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Can this be done?
Go To Page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 23:02:46    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The only major performance saver drive-wise in Windows would be to put your pagefile on a different drive that your programs and main OS reside on.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Big B
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 00:16:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Do they all have to be the same hard drive or can it be like, 120 GB for the OS, 400GB for games/etc

I really dont have much music or videos to save So i think two would be a better route for me as of now. Let use this as a exmaple.

I have a seagate with 300GB, I can remove all my programs(back them up) install a WD with 400GB of space and install the games to the new drive and everything should work fine.,

Would it hurt to use windows swap file on the hard drive with the OS/(main apss which i do not have many of them) files?
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 07:00:14    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

For that purpose, they can be of any size.

120GB is overkill 10 times over for WinXP, and 6 times over for Vista.

The only times you need matching drives is for RAID or when doing batch file mirroring.
Big B
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 11:27:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Ok,

how about this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136075

the above hard drive for OS,Firefox,swap file etc.

This one for games
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073

I took off both side of my case and my only worry is that i couldnt see any SATA power connection. I have plenty of SATA connections on my mobo 8 of them and only using 3.Just when i was looking at the wiring
I couldn't find seem to find them.Hope i would have them.
Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 11:36:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

knight0334 wrote:
It may... It would spread the usage across a couple drives, which theoretically would help. But HDD's are like time-bombs without a time display.. Its only a matter of time before they go, you just dont know when.

Turn on S.M.A.R.T. in your bios and use a compatible hard drive.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 11:58:04    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Big B wrote:
Ok,

how about this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136075

the above hard drive for OS,Firefox,swap file etc.

This one for games
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073

I took off both side of my case and my only worry is that i couldnt see any SATA power connection. I have plenty of SATA connections on my mobo 8 of them and only using 3.Just when i was looking at the wiring
I couldn't find seem to find them.Hope i would have them.

Not a fan of WD drives. I use Seagate exclusively now.

Other than that shouldn't be a problem. If you feel a bit more adventurous, you could get 2 of the smaller drives (i.e. 2 x 250 or 2 x 320) and put them in RAID 0.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: