Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
PCI-X Question
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 13:52:49    Post Subject: PCI-X Question Reply with quote View Single Post

Hey guys, hope some of you can help me with this one.

I'm looking at buying 2 gigabit fiber cards to put into a Dell PowerEdge server and use it as a router in a friend's private rack. The problem I'm facing is I've never used PCI-X cards before so don't know the different revisions, if any, are compatible and whatnot.

I found several HP PCI-X fiber gigabit cards but the PCI-X interface looks somewhat different than the PCI-X ports in my Dell server. I'm planning on trying this in a Dell PowerEdge 2650 but ultimately using it in a 1750.

The two models I found that look promising are:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/networking/NC6770/index.html
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/networking/nc310f/index.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

The former one is available on eBay for $15/pc. which is a pretty good deal IF they work in a Dell. I have Googled to see if they are proprietary to HPs only but found no information confirming or denying that yet.

anyone know anything about PCI-X or HP cards? I'm looking to buy something today so I can test them and get them ready to be shipped out on Monday.

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 15:05:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

you're gonna need to make sure you have a green PCI slot. I'm fairly certain there are 2 on the 2650s, not sure about the 1750s.

With HP/Compaq, they might be proprietary. I had fits years ago with a Compaq RAID controller. For $15 it might be worth a shot.

Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 15:08:38    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I bought the $15 one. I'd really like the second one I listed since it has an Intel chipset instead of Broadcom and LC connectors (the rack has a fiber drop with LC connector now so it would be easier). I'll see if this one fits and works and if it does, my question will be answered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: