Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Cooling off my Dual Opteron 270 System
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 09:50:43    Post Subject: Cooling off my Dual Opteron 270 System Reply with quote View Single Post

I had these four 2.0GHz cores in a small form factor case, and the noise and heat were insane. Sounded like a leaf blower, and temperatures looked like this. 60C+ at load.

Now I moved to a full tower case, have two Thermalright Ultra 90 CPU coolers, and the case has 2x 120mm case fans and one 90mm case fan.

It is nice and quiet at idle and default settings... So of course I overclocked it a little and keep it loaded it up with Folding...

Doesn't even hit 50C fully loaded!

Only a 5% OC for now, but I'll do more later. Still way quieter than the SFF, even at full speed...

It is good for my sanity.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 10:43:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

very good improvement over the SFF setup.

My new Opteron 185 runs very hot too..in my testbed with load core 1 is around 60-65 and core 2 about 55-57. I got her up to 2.9ghz from 2.6ghz right now. I wonder how much cooler it would be inside a case with some fans blowing air all over the place.

OC that puppy some more, 100mhz is nothing.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 11:59:45    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

True - 100 isn't much. But it's 4x 100! Laughing

I also don't think my 3-3-3-8 ECC REG DDR 400MHz will get too high! Laughing

I also planned on dual 120mm CPU coolers (Thermalright SI-120s), but unfortunately the CPU sockets are too close together! Damn, that would have been sweet. The 90mm CPU fans aren't too loud, but 120mm >> 90mm fans for performance, noise.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 13:29:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well, without tweaking anything 216MHz worked, but it gave out at 220MHz... wouldn't boot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: