Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Seagate Momentus 7200.2 160GB SATA Hard Drive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 01 May 2007 07:21:41    Post Subject: Seagate Momentus 7200.2 160GB SATA Hard Drive Reply with quote View Single Post

Testing confirmed the performance and low temperature operation, but what has not yet been mentioned is that the Momentus 7200.2 is very quiet. The specifications indicate that it produces between 2.5 and 2.9 bels between idle and load, and although that might not mean much to some, it translates to whisper quiet. - The Review
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Tau
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Tue, 01 May 2007 11:35:35    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

isent that the biggest 7200rpm notebook drive?
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 01 May 2007 13:21:49    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hmmm... Don't know. I do know there are 200GB 2.5" drives, but never checked the rotational speed.
~*77*~
Xenophobe

PostPosted: Tue, 01 May 2007 13:34:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

If you're a Digg'er, please give this a bump! Grin

http://digg.com/hardware/2_5_160GB_Hard_Drive_That_Screams_in_Silence
Tau
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Tue, 01 May 2007 15:08:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

i'm pretty sure thats the largest 7200 RPM notebook drive. I wish i had one - stuck with this 100Gb 4200rpm!
Stefano
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 12 May 2007 08:31:24    Post Subject: Some questions Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi guys,

English is not my mother tongue, so the point about the jumper in the review is not very clear to me. I have bought one of this Momentus 7200.2 (the 120 GB version) and I want to replace the HD of my Laptop, which is a Sony VAIO SZ-160. I suppose that my laptop doesn't support the SATAII interface, so: do I have to put the jumper or not? If yes, in which position?

Other quick question: should the NCQ technology be supported by the SATA controller too or is it intrinsic to the HD, meaning that it makes that on its own? Just to know...

Thanks a lot for answering!
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 12 May 2007 09:06:46    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi - the jumper on the review sample was pre-installed to cap it at SATA 150 speeds. If you need to install the jumper, it should look like this:

http://www.bigbruin.com/2007/imageview.php?item=momentus7200&file=pic3.jpg

For SATA 300 speed, just remove the jumper completely.

I am now using this drive on a system that has a SATA 150 controller, but I left the jumper removed, and it is working fine.

NCQ should be automatic... as far as I know.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Stefano
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 12 May 2007 09:46:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Ok, thanks for the anwser!

Concerning the NCQ, no it isn't:

http://www.sata-io.org wrote:
NCQ is designed into the Serial ATA interface but not all solutions have integrated it. To take advantage of Native Command Queuing it is necessary that both the host controller/chipset and hard drive support the feature.

Now the problem is to discover whether my laptop supports it or not, and it's always a big challenge to discover this kind of details for laptops!
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 12 May 2007 23:04:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Ah, OK... I thought you were asking if something had to be done to the hard drive to enable it.

I did have a Hitachi drive that had a boot disk necessary to manage options like that, as well as transfer rate...
Rich Schulthess
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 16 May 2007 13:37:35    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

[align=left]

Great review! I hope you get a chance to evaluate the new Hitachi drive, the TravelStar 7K200 - 200MB 7200RPM 2.5 inch drive. I'm curious to see how it stacks up against this drive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Storage All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: