Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
trouble with any smtp server
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red Squirrel
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 23:48:23    Post Subject: trouble with any smtp server Reply with quote View Single Post

This is driving me nuts. I need to send out hundreds of emails with BCC (no, not spam Grin ) but I always run into problems. Stupid things like time outs and stuff that should not happen on a DSL connection. I tried a bunch of different SMTP servers to no avail. Now I keep getting an errorl "cannot relay" bla bla bla.

Is there some way to get smtp servers to work on this computer? I"m running windows 2000. I'm thinking of reverting to using php mail but the only problem is that I don't have allot of bandwidth and that will eat it up big time.

my site
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 02:33:04    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 07:51:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Or, look at group mail free... http://www.infacta.com/ (I use it)

It will use your smtp still, but you can have all your mail sent one message at a time, and it pauses after every 25 messages to prevent the server from overloading...
Red Squirrel
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 00:24:57    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Is the free version actually free, or is it some kind of demo that will crap out on me in 45 days or something? I had this great mailing app before that happened to it. I was quite pist for them to do that. Grin

my site
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:14:38    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The free version of Group Mail is free for life, just with limited features... like you can't send to your whole list with one click... it breaks it up into 100 recipient chunks, in which it automatically pauses every 25 recipients to avoid overloading the smtp server... So, on my mailing list I have to click send 4 times, to cover 1-100, 101-200, 201-300, and 301-367 or whatever it is right now...
Red Squirrel
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:55:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Oh ok, that's not the end of the world. But as it turns out, Outlook which is now what I use (also much easier to manage a list seperated by ; ) but I realize the smtp server I use is limited to 50 messages and not Outlook. So all I need is a SMTP server so a little change of problem. I use post cast smtp server. Any other decent ones I can use?

Also, when I use BCC does it send it out as seperate messages, or is it the smtp server that has to take the list and seperate it? If it's seperate messages already, I'm sure it should not be too hard to write my own smtp server, but if I have to get into list managing business it will be easier to find one instead. Grin

my site
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:33:17    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

BCC is basically one message delivered to multiple recipients, so yeah, I guess the smtp server handles it...

I used to have my own smtp server using a freeware app: http://www.argosoft.com/ worked well for me...
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:43:21    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

BCC = Blind Carbon Copy.

The only difference in BCC versus CC is that BCC doesn't show the recipients listed in the BCC field.

You really need to run a mailing list. And make sure you include a message allowing people to unsubscribe. If not, then if someone complains your ISP might well turn off your service and possible charge you for sending SPAM.
Red Squirrel
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 00:14:20    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Big Bruin wrote:
BCC is basically one message delivered to multiple recipients, so yeah, I guess the smtp server handles it...

I used to have my own smtp server using a freeware app: http://www.argosoft.com/ worked well for me...

Cool thanks I'll try that.

as for spam, I should be safe as I'm only sending to emails that have been put specificly to send this type of mailing, but once in a while I get a "wrong" addy in there so I usually put a note to reply if they don't want to get this, or get a duplicate etc...

my site
Red Squirrel
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 00:36:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

ok just tried argosoft but the server won't start. I click the start button, it shoots out a log that it's starting, but it does not display it as started, and I can't connect to it.

I checked to see if SMTP is blocked in my firewall and it's not.

my site
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: