Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Camera Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heylinder
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 09:27:31    Post Subject: Camera Question Reply with quote View Single Post

Anyone know of a point and shoot camera that shoots in 300 ppi? I realize that you can easily print anything in 300 ppi but this photo contest that I want to enter requires the photo itself be 300 ppi uncompressed.

I tried calling Canon (my camera is an A530) and Staples (company running contest) and got no helpful info. Actually Staples said I needed to get a "high end camera". I ask them how many amateur photographers they knew had high end cameras :rolleyes:

BTW, my 5 mega pixel shoots in 180 ppi.

Thanks for any suggestions Smile
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 11:41:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

What size does the picture have to be?

(Width inches x 300 ppi) x (Length inches x 300 ppi) = Number of megapixels

Example: To shoot a high quality 5”x7” image

(5” x 300 ppi) x (7” x 300 ppi) = 1,500 x 2,100 = 3,150,000, or about 3.2 megapixels
T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 16:19:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

If this is your contest (long post, solution at the bottom)
http://hometownviews.dja.com/HomePage.html
I'd say the person who wrote the rules has spent far too much time with the easybutton Rolling Eyes
according to their FAQ you will need at least a 10.8 megapixel camera to get 300PPI at 12"x18" (the only print size I see mentioned in the entry form which is for the poster reward given to all entrants)
However, as EC correctly points out, Print PPI is determined by megapixels of the image divide by the print size in inches.
so any 'jpg submited final ppi resolution will vary according to the print size.
I'm sure what the really want are images that are reproducable for their promotioal purposes, posters, flyers and ads and 300 dpi is standard for those processes.
they trying to avoid submissions of celphone and webcam "quality" photos. But theoretically a 300x300 pixel photo would meet the letter of the rules if printed at 1"x1"

The reason Canon cameras optimize and mark their images as 180 or 240 PPI is........because canon photo printers are made to produce 240 PPI pictures.

To make your pictures read as 300 ppi you will need to resample them via photo editing software (with possible loss of actual picture quality Rolling Eyes )
This explains it better than I can
http://www.steves-digicams.com/techcorner/January_2005.html

BTW good luck on the trip to iceland Laughing (I was only there for a few hours in december one year, at the airport in a blizzard, when the plane broke down, outside looked like an un-defrosted freezer without the food Razz )
heylinder
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 19:55:35    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

T-shirt wrote:
If this is your contest (long post, solution at the bottom)
http://hometownviews.dja.com/HomePage.html
I'd say the person who wrote the rules has spent far too much time with the easybutton Rolling Eyes

Yes and I agree!

T-shirt wrote:

To make your pictures read as 300 ppi you will need to resample them via photo editing software (with possible loss of actual picture quality Rolling Eyes )

I've already tried that with Adobe Photoshop. Staples site kicks it back out because they say it's compressed Rolling Eyes

I don't really care about the trip ... I just want the fame Wink Smile
heylinder
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 19:58:40    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dr. EvilCheeze wrote:
What size does the picture have to be?

(Width inches x 300 ppi) x (Length inches x 300 ppi) = Number of megapixels

Example: To shoot a high quality 5”x7” image

(5” x 300 ppi) x (7” x 300 ppi) = 1,500 x 2,100 = 3,150,000, or about 3.2 megapixels

It has to be large enough to print out a poster size. I hate to put the money into a 10 megapixel camera when I'd rather put it into my bug Grin
T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 05:36:14    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

heylinder wrote:

T-shirt wrote:

I've already tried that with Adobe Photoshop. Staples site kicks it back out because they say it's compressed Rolling Eyes

I don't really care about the trip ... I just want the fame Wink Smile

That might be the way adobe saves it, but resampling is not compression. You should find a setting in Photoshop for save as "uncompressed jpeg" in
settings
The contest rules seem aimed at the very high end consumer/semi-pro photographer, yet staples doesn't come to my mind as a real camera shop. I know their trying to promote their new big poster printers, but the message is confused.

Hey, we know you here, that should be fame enough for anybody. Wave
heylinder
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 11:24:45    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

T-shirt wrote:

Hey, we know you here, that should be fame enough for anybody. Wave

Oh Lord ... I'm in trouble Wink

Anyways, someone else suggested I do this ... After taking your pic's in large super fine, open the pic in PS, resize the image by changing the long side to 5500, resample with the resolution set to 302? "just for good measure" so it is at least 300ppi?

It worked! I'm in Grin

Thanks for all your help. I will look for that "save as uncompressed jpeg" thou Smile
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: