Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Packet's
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big B
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 13:44:02    Post Subject: Packet's Reply with quote View Single Post

I was looking at my network connections i saw that i have received more packets then what was set ( 68,073 -sent /// 116,963 -received) How is this possible? I only been online for two and half hours Also is it due to my new cable modem or is something wrong? If so whats a fix? As most of the time the sent number is higher then the received.

Any suggestions?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 14:29:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

It depends on what you are doing online. Downloading, websurfing, and the like will have more recieved packets then sent, because you only need to send little information to get an entire webpage with images or a download file, etc.

Gaming online is usually a little bit different, but varies widely on the game played.

knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 14:33:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

its generally a bigger concern when your sent packets are higher.. it means something is trying to phone home(spyware, hack, etc..)
Big B
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 15:02:27    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

so that not bad for gaming and looking at web pages?

ok

Guess im a big worry wort about every little thing that looks out of place to me
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 17:23:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Remember, that your broadband connection has a much bigger download than upload size. So when your on the internet why would you expect to see anything else?
T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 05:02:17    Post Subject: Re: Packet's Reply with quote View Single Post

Big B wrote:
I was looking at my network connections i saw that i have received more packets then what was set ( 68,073 -sent /// 116,963 -received) How is this possible? I only been online for two and half hours Also is it due to my new cable modem or is something wrong? If so whats a fix? As most of the time the sent number is higher then the received.

Any suggestions?

More down than up is normal, unless you have been doing a big upload and almost nothing else.
I'm curious if you have a router/NAT box/ AP between the modem and your computer?
As pointed out above continuously see more up then down that doesn't match your sent/recieved pattern sould raise a warnig flag.
Also is this new modem a replacement or new service?
A replacement may have given you a new IP and (tempoarily, at least) taken you off someone's probe list.
Big B
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 11:08:46    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

nope, just one pc, cable line to modem modem to pc through a cat5 line

I scann for spyware/worms everyday and it says i have nothing wrong. unless the crap was able to hide it self where i or no anti spyware/virus program can find it

Yea brand new modem with new ip address.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 11:40:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Big B wrote:
nope, just one pc, cable line to modem modem to pc through a cat5 line

I scann for spyware/worms everyday and it says i have nothing wrong. unless the crap was able to hide it self where i or no anti spyware/virus program can find it

Yea brand new modem with new ip address.

Yes, it can. They are called RootKits and most AV's can never find them. At least, not yet.

Get a Firewall, Hardware based it better but also a software based one works great too. Everyone has different opinions on software based ones, so take a look around. Zonealarm is the one I've used the most, and the one I have on my parents computer.
Big B
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 16:59:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

i have a ok firewall, well it seems to be doing the job anyways......

I downloaded and ran a system scan with rootkit revealer and it found nothing.. So i guess im clean there also or if i have a hacker/worm the program is really really hidden.

O'well
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 17:18:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Big B wrote:
i have a ok firewall, well it seems to be doing the job anyways......

I downloaded and ran a system scan with rootkit revealer and it found nothing.. So i guess im clean there also or if i have a hacker/worm the program is really really hidden.

O'well

Could be either of both. However, that's about the best you can do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: