Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Hoping for a little help...again :)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phantom
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 00:22:10    Post Subject: Hoping for a little help...again :) Reply with quote View Single Post

Hey all!! I am building a new system and I was hoping for a little catch up help :)

i like abit and I want to use thier new aw8d mobo. I was wondering if I should go with a dual core or single sore processor. I intend for this to be a gaming rig and was wondering which would be better.

I also need a suggestion for a good case that will cool easily and fit those big evil video cards that are going to be going into it.

Lastly I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a good manufacturer for video cards..PNY is rotten at making thinks that work for more than a year LoL.

Thank you all in advance for your time and all the help you always provide to those who ask:)

Your all awsome

Phantom
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 00:35:07    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dual core is the future, and your going to want to switch to it eventually. But if your building a rig on a budget and are using it primarily for gaming, single core is the way to go. Almost all of the games on the market aren't coded to take advantage of dual core CPUs, I think Quake 4 is one of the only ones. It can also be a bugger getting your game to run properly with a Dual Core CPU sometimes, the [H] forums have a write up on solutions for dual core gaming and all the problems that can be caused by it.
Phantom
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 00:43:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

It would be either a 3.4 ghz dual core or a 3.6 ghz single core I would guess. :) I am not familiar enough with dual core to know how much of a difference between the two I would see in a game (but at least I can admit what I don't know! :))

Phantom
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 11:25:33    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The prices on dual core chips is coming way down and the performance boost is nice. I don't have a single and dual core chip of similar speeds here to compare, but I have been buying only dual core lately... Look around for dual core CPU reviews and you will see they are worth it!
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 12:57:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

wait for after july 24th, there is a big amd processor price drop coming. I would have waited but I found a opteron 148 for $160 shipped.

...and I am impatient Yikes

if you must go with intel I'd also wait, to see if they do a competive price drop as well.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 13:00:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The Intel drop was already mentioned, tied into Conroe's release... I think I saw a table a few weeks ago where by late July you can get a D820 for like $120.

AMD Info: http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2800
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 16:22:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Big Bruin wrote:
The Intel drop was already mentioned, tied into Conroe's release... I think I saw a table a few weeks ago where by late July you can get a D820 for like $120.

I smell a new X2 in my future.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 12:24:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Big Bruin wrote:

50% cuts on the X2...wow.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: