Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 6 Rev. 2
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottyja
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 14:27:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Last question guys, I promise! Smile

Is it a big deal if the memory on my video card didn't come w/ a heat sink? I got a 128 6600GT for a HTPC that I'm building, and won't be overclocking at all. I just noticed that most pictures I see of this the cooler show cards with heatsinks over the memory. Mine seems to not have that... big deal or should I be ok without it?

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 15:40:31    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Not a big deal. For the most part they are unnecessary, and I sometimes wonder if they are more of a gimmick.

Especially if you don't intend to overclock, you won't even need to worry about excess heat to dissipate!

And... feel free to ask any questions you want! Thanks! Grin
iverson0881
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 01 May 2006 19:43:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi i have the XFX 6600gt pci-express video card. and i'm in the middle of the installation. The installation guide is sufficient but not enough pictures. The problem is that on the back I have the little flat head screws that i'm trying to screw in. But they don't go in far enough and the screw itself is going through the screw cap thingie (sorry i don't know the terminology). So I can't try to screw any further. Any Ideas? if you need pictures let me know. The reason I am worried is because as much as I can go I can still see a 1mm gap between the cooler and the gpu which I'm sure is supposed to be touching.

Let me know what i may be doing wrong or of any tips. Thanks in advance.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 01 May 2006 20:32:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I can't picture it, so some photos may help. Also, try putting a thin coat of thermal paste on the cooler, assembling it, and then disassembling it. All you want to see is if there is a transfer of paste to the GPU... Will tell you if it is really touching anyway.
iverson0881
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 02 May 2006 03:37:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Nevermind I got it. What I had done was not remove the removable circular rubber pads from the heat sink side and i was to move them over to teh back of the board along with the rubber pad and the metal bracket. But all seems well as it is now touching the gpu and my GPU temp is at 40C. I can't recall what it was before but my computer is hell of a lot quieter now.

Anyway thanks for the help and the review. Big help on me choosing to buy this gpu cooler as it works at advertised and is damn quiet. thank you big bruin
Markworth
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 11 May 2006 20:51:18    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I hope this isn't too stupid, or too much of a bump, but I have a card which has some serious cooling issues (ASUS N6800) and I know this thing will fit on it, but that fan is what I like to call teh suck. Any chance a 90mm would fit in that casing? I have an extra Nidec Beta V going to waste and I don't really trust that piddly 1500 rpm thing.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 11 May 2006 21:43:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I don't think modding this cooler would get you very far. I think the fans have proven to be reliable, but if you don't like it, maybe something all together different is better for you. Arctic Cooling does have new VGA coolers out, look for a review here next week.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Markworth
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 11 May 2006 21:50:15    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well, if you think the fan is good enough, I guess I'll take your word for it. I'm pretty settled on this cooler due to the built in exhaust system, I just want to do everything possible to keep from nuking my video card this summer.
Asylum
Joshzilla

PostPosted: Fri, 12 May 2006 08:01:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Sorry I haven't had any feedback for you guys lately...I just moved across country.
As for the fan on the Silencer it is reliable. Its been running solidly since the time of the review and i don't see it stopping any time soon.

As far as modding the cooler... I wouldn't take the chance.

Markworth
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 12 May 2006 08:45:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'll play it by ear, then. If it looks like a mod I can handle, and is even possible, I'll try it for the heck of it and let you guys know what happens. Otherwise, I'll leave it alone. Eitherway, I don't have much choice but this cooler. I'm getting over 64C in just ~30 seconds of the GF3 Chameleon demo!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Cooling All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: