Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
The Ultimate mini-ITX HTPC Project
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyBMC
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 02:20:46    Post Subject: The Ultimate mini-ITX HTPC Project Reply with quote View Single Post

I am planning to build an HTPC in mini-ITX form factor, primarily as a Media Player. I really need help with selecting the right motherboard.

BACKGROUND
I have built already an HTPC on Pentium D and if needed, can use it for recording TV. I am planning to use it as a home office PC and for pictures/home videos uploading, archiving, video editing, etc. The Originae X11 box is too large and being not a fanless design - still too noisy for the living room. Any silent fans are just not silent enough, and 3.5" HDDs are just too loud.

That's why I would like to go for a fanless case solution with an 2.5" HDD since they are quieter, Serener GA-L01 looks really nice - definitly the best HTPC design of what I have ever seen. Given that this device should be in the living room, I don't want any USB/Firewire/Card Reader on the front, and I plan to use only remote, no keyboard/mouse (except for setup/maintenance).

REQUIREMENTS
Where I need help is to make a strategic decision around the motherboard... and I am not that well familiar with the mini-ITX world. I have researched here in forums and there are some good tips around using minimum 1GHz CPU, etc. Yet, VIA EPIA EN-Series - I don't see a SPDIF output there...

I imagine a motherboard which should have
a) DVI output onboard or through an add-on (LVDS/DVI transmitter?)
b) SPDIF output (preferably TOSLINK optical)

My impression is that VIA is ahead of Intel on integrating DVI and SPDIF onboard, but I may be mistaken. Pentium M is probably also an option, but I haven't seen such motherboards.

It may also be the case, that I am over-optimistic about onboard video and it is still better to go for a PCI-Ex or PCI graphics card. You may say that the video output is not as good for the flat panel TV in HDTV 720p?

As for audio, it is pretty straight forward since it is just an SPDIF pass through and no load on the CPU. There are ATX motherboards with SPDIF (TOSLINK), but I haven't seen any in mini-ITX format yet.

The reason I am trying to avoid additional PCI cards is mainly for space and heat reasons... In the end it should be a more cost efficient solution... Again, I am looking for an optimal motherboard to build such HTPC... it could be Intel/AMD or VIA. My initial impression was VIA is ahead of others on this front...?

My challenge is that there are many motherboard manufacturers for VIA, AMD and Pentium M with creative configurations - but it would require an expert to have that kind of an overview and give an advice. I really hope to find such experts here!

QUESTION
So, the questions is: Are there motherboard products on the market which will fulfill the requirement of DVI and SPDIF onboard with sufficient video quality? If not, do I need to wait 3 months, or I would need to wait for another year and should better go for a PCI card solution for now?

Thanks!

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 09:05:11    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi Andy...

I agree with you, having DVI and SPDIF are key, and although there are a few MINI-ITX boards that offer SPDIF, DVI is a hard find.

I have no idea how they work, but there are DVI expansion cards for MINI-ITX... Like this for the M, MII series...

http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/cPath/78_72/products_id/508

I have no info (and I have looked) regarding resolution, whether it can do widescreen, HD, etc...

I had hoped DVI would have shown up onboard years ago, but nothing yet. Not sure if waiting would help. Even the latest board just released is DVI-free:

http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/mini_itx/epia_en/

I hadn't looked at the Serener case you listed, but I see that it is far more fexible than the one I have (GS-L01). Mine only supports two (older) boards, and the one you linked supports VIA EPIA M, VIA EPIA ML, VIA EPIA MII, VIA EPIA SP... cool.

Oh... and welcome to the board. Please update us on this system! Thanks!

Wave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: