Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
mhz rating on cables..
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FOX
I <3 Quail

PostPosted: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 21:04:00    Post Subject: mhz rating on cables.. Reply with quote View Single Post

so i bought a house and now im gonna be running it with some cat6 cable... im lookin to get my stuff from www.cablesforless.com b/c everything is uber cheap... they have a mhz rating on the cables anywhere from 250 to 550... i guess i never thought of something like this but do i wanta higher mhz rating?? for the 250mhz it says standard next to it and for the 550 it says solid in the name so which do i want to network minimal 3 computers to the itnernet for gaming and such"?

http://www.facebook.com/DjFOXDnB
My site where I have my latest mixes! www.DjSourceInfo.com
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 21:12:04    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Run wireless. Cheaper and easier the majority of the time. And think about it, even an 802.11b @ 11Mbps is still faster than even a 6Mbps screaming cable connection.

Other than that, the are talking about running stranded -vs- solid wires, don't ever get the stranded.
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 21:48:28    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

If you ever want to use the network for remote file access between the PCs, that 11Mbps can be quite slow. 100Mbps was even slow back in the day (hehe, 2 months ago). I don't know anything about the Mhz of the cables, but getting all Gigabit hardware, it's great for remote file storage on the network.

As for being cheaper, yeah wireless is alot cheaper, however, from my experiences, not as reliable. Stuff like cordless phones can make you lose your connection sometimes. Getting a phone guy to come in and do it cost me a few hundred bucks, but well worth it.

FOX
I <3 Quail

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 00:06:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

wireless would be great but we wanna keep it wired b/c were going to be doing a lot of sharing between pcs for music productions and we just dont like the hassle that you can get from wireless at times Razz

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 08:53:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Ahhh.. yes, that would be a valid reason for staying wired then.

The vast majority of household's don't share much across the LAN, so wireless works great for them. But if you're going to share big stuff, you need wired.

Have fun! (I hate running cables).
JimBowy

PostPosted: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 11:15:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dr. EvilCheeze wrote:
Ahhh.. yes, that would be a valid reason for staying wired then.

The vast majority of household's don't share much across the LAN, so wireless works great for them. But if you're going to share big stuff, you need wired.

Have fun! (I hate running cables).

If it makes things any easier I run a lot of my cables adjacent to the heating/cooling ducting. Example: running cat5 to a bedroom on the 2nd floor. Get a big a$$ piece of PVC tubing and put it next to the heat vent... pull cat5 through.... your done.

FOX
I <3 Quail

PostPosted: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 01:45:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

yah were gunna run it through the ductwork two of the rooms are next to eachother so were actually just going to drill a small hole in the back of the closet ....thatll be easy lol

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 09:46:58    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

if you're running through ducts, make sure you use plenum grade
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: