Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
How to piss off a lazy teenager
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HackaX0rus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 01:24:38    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

doesnt windows reformatter explain itself?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 02:12:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I dont get why you guys have such issues with XP, I can see it with older versions but I got XP three days before it was out in the stores and have only reinstalled it like two times and it is still running fine. WTH are you guys doing to it?
jake_johnson
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 05:08:57    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

my solution for step mom. Deep freeze and a thumb drive. She can do anything she wants. She brakes it, just hit restart. She wants to save something she has a thumb drive. She wants to install something. Tuff s#!7. I put on all the software you could possible need. MS Office, Star office, and every browser, messenger etc. Taught he how to use everything. She aint screwed it up once. SHE CANT!
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 09:41:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

knight0334 wrote:
I tried that.. some people just don't get it.. lol

It's sink or swim time for her. Laughing

And there are some ulterior motives here too.... I really don't think that she's going to finish college, and unless I can talk her into the Military.... she's going to go back to Ca, around her family and with in 2 yrs be popping out kids. So at least if she learns some computer skills she might stand a chance on getting a better than $8.00 an hour job.
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 09:47:29    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

dadx2mj wrote:
I dont get why you guys have such issues with XP, I can see it with older versions but I got XP three days before it was out in the stores and have only reinstalled it like two times and it is still running fine. WTH are you guys doing to it?

It only takes an idiot 0.00001 seconds to hose Microsoft's best OS after a fresh install. lol Kids and n00bs are the worst offenders.. I've managed to teach a few kids and most of the adults I encounter what to do or not do with a PC. ...but there are others that you cant teach no matter how hard you hit them on the head with a book or hammer.

My ex from years ago, her 18yo daughter and 16yo son hose her PC every 2-9 months. However, her 12yo son is very good and learned what I taught him. He's very good about not installing crap and does try to clean up after his older siblings.

My recent ex's son will install an old copy of some file sharing/P2P app that is loaded full of spy/malware instead of getting a newer copy thats clean of it. I've told him time and time again to get the newer version if he's gonna pirate crap just to save me time. ..but no, he manages to install the same one. Bang Head

The only times I have to reinstall an OS for myself is: after I've done some creative tinkering, or I rebuild my favorites list, or testing junk software for stability, or goofing around with hardware settings, and a few other reasons. I do alot of testing on MS OS's and applications as a Beta Tester for nearly every application or OS they come up with. ..So I run into more then my fair share of FUBAR'd OS installs.
Blue|Fusion
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 10:43:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

EC, I still stand by using your time one last time and install linux. Not even my sister can break it going to all those flash game sites, myspace, kazaa, etc. Hell, better yet, give her a blank CD-R, and this link. Tell her she has a week to get that installed and working or no more PC for her and I'll bet she'll learn more about linux in a week than most users (ubuntu users) will ever know about linux.
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 10:53:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Theres a learning curve to Linux that some people have a hard time with after getting used to Winblows.

I tried it out a couple times, was completely lost with it. I could surf the 'net and check email, but doing anything else was a task in itself.. ..which may be a good thing. If I couldn't find where to make stupid little changes in the settings, she should have at least a few more weeks effort to find them to fubar'm.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 10:59:27    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Quote:
It only takes an idiot 0.00001 seconds to hose Microsoft's best OS after a fresh install. lol Kids and n00bs are the worst offenders.

I have had XP on the kids computer as long as it has been on mine I think they have had fresh install 3 times.

You pretty much confirm my belief though it is more the end user than the XP that is at fault. Lets face it if MS made it idiot proof knowledgeable users would scream even louder that it was too bloated and restrictive
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 12:10:07    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Xp has been on my sons computer for 4 years now with NO problems. He has anti-virus and spyware installed. Those are updated once a month.

He can not install anything. I have to log in to install anything (even flash/shockwave updates).

The only reason I ever have to reinstall XP is because (like Knight said) I play around with ALOT of beta software. Been running Vista for about 6 months now.

Linux is not the answer for everything. Until Linux starts to become MUCH more prevalent in homes and business it's not good to use that to teach people computers.
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 12:47:10    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Anyone wanna take bets on if Misty's cousin fixes it?

I like BC's approach, throw the book at her and walk away. LOL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> The Den All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: