Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Microsoft to Develop Broadband TV for Telcos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 19:46:10    Post Subject: Microsoft to Develop Broadband TV for Telcos Reply with quote View Single Post

For those who think M$ doesn't have their name on enough stuff yet...

[url=http://news1.iwon.com/tech/article/id/359643|technology|10-09-2003::15:44|reuters.html]READ ME[/url]

Mr. T
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Red Squirrel
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 22:26:27    Post Subject: Re: Microsoft to Develop Broadband TV for Telcos Reply with quote View Single Post

Big Bruin wrote:
For those who think M$ doesn't have their name on enough stuff yet...

[url=http://news1.iwon.com/tech/article/id/359643|technology|10-09-2003::15:44|reuters.html]READ ME[/url]

Mr. T

I've seen a BSOD on many screens before, and my TV is the last one I figured I'd get to see it on. Laughing

my site
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 02:06:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I got news for them. The only two forms of transport that can carry the amount of data for miles is fiber and coax. DSL isn't capable of transporting 60 analog and 400 digital channels, plus two way internet.

The only way for them to transport that number of channels would be mpeg4. Standard RF that cable tv uses would leak into the air from the nonshielded cables.

If mpeg4 is (low quality)160kb/s, multiply that by 60, then divide 400 by 12, then multiply that by the answer you got from 60x160kb/s. ...now, add the the bandwidth of your DSL line for internet.. what do you have?

9600Kb/s needed for analog channels
5333.33Kb/s needed for digital channels
1500Kb/s needed for internet(download)
------------
total=16433.333~ Kb/s.

The cost of supplying 16.433Mb/s bandwidth would kill any profits. Just imagine what kind of bandwidth would be needed for high quality!!!!!

And, as a CATV engineer and manager-I can tell you straight up that there is NO money, absolutely NO phucking money to be made in delivering TV services. CATV companies make their money with Pay-Per-View and internet.

Last edited by knight0334 on Sun, 19 Oct 2003 02:10:34; edited 1 time in total
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 02:10:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

And if Microsoft thinks the Telcos are making money in the CATV business, I got news for them....
My piss ant company bought a Sprint system for $50000 a few years ago because it made no money... ...in fact, they lost $6 million in the sale just in parts/plant alone.
acruxksa
Doh!

PostPosted: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 02:36:27    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Red Squirrel Wrote:
Quote:
I've seen a BSOD on many screens before, and my TV is the last one I figured I'd get to see it on.

Squirrel,
I have to laugh at this one because I've seen a BSOD on my TV. Apparently some of the cable companies up here used Windows to run their guide channel. On more than one occaision I've swtched over to see what's on only to find a BSOD.
Red Squirrel
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 13:25:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

acruxksa wrote:
Red Squirrel Wrote:
Quote:
I've seen a BSOD on many screens before, and my TV is the last one I figured I'd get to see it on.

Squirrel,
I have to laugh at this one because I've seen a BSOD on my TV. Apparently some of the cable companies up here used Windows to run their guide channel. On more than one occaision I've swtched over to see what's on only to find a BSOD.

Haha that's funny! I always laugh when windows crashes in "public" situations / places. I've never seen it myself but seen pics of various crashes including ATMs. Funny stuff, and good advertisement for Microsoft. Ms should put ads on the BSOD. I'd pay anything to have my site on there, imagine the CTR.

my site
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: