Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Ultra Products & Vantec 3.5" Enclosures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 22:59:10    Post Subject: Ultra Products & Vantec 3.5" Enclosures Reply with quote View Single Post

The fan cooled Ultra Products enclosure let the drive hit a high temperature of 40.6 C, while the passively cooled Vantec NexStar 2 let the drive hit a high temperature of 40.5 C in the vertical position and 43.9 C in the horizontal position. An insignificant difference of 0.1 degree was experienced in the vertical orientation, but considering the device with no fan ran cooler, it was surprising. - The Review

Last edited by Doctor Feelgood on Fri, 28 Apr 2006 14:07:38; edited 1 time in total
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

GerryWhite
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 13:56:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I just ordered the Vantec enclosure from ZipZoomFly.

Unfortunately, I have a bad habit of checking reviews of equipment AFTER I purchase it -- and regretting that purchase. Mad

From what I see in your detailed review, I should be fine this time.

Thanks! King

VERY good and detailed review. Laughing

(Cool emoticons, too!)
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:27:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi GerryWhite, welcome. I started to read your note, saw the Vantec part, saw the regretting part, and I got concerned. Glad I kept reading and knew all was well.

As an update to the review... that 200 GB drive I used in the review has been in the Vantec enclosure ever since, and it is used quite regularly. I am still really liking it!
Brooklyn-G
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 13:02:21    Post Subject: Ultra Enclosure Fan Sucks Reply with quote View Single Post

Just wanted to chirp in that I bought an Ultra enclosure recently and had to return it because I hated the fan. Though it performed well enough, I could never foresee keeping it once I realized how loud the fan was. To make matters worse, the fan started to buzz (an additional noise) and could only be quieted when I propped up the front end on something. I was relieved to see that in your tests the fan did not improve the cooling of the drive. So with that said-either Ultra designs a better fan or a justification for having one in the first place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Storage All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: