Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Comp. Power Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jake_johnson
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 09:55:41    Post Subject: Comp. Power Problems Reply with quote View Single Post

Hello guys. The other night i was playing Civ III. I was playing diety level and about 3hrs into the game. I walked away and came back about 15minutes later after grabbing a sandwhich. I noticed my fan was turning on off on off rapidly as i aproached my room.

I have one of those 120cfm tornado fans. There loud as hell so i could hear it in hallway. I look at my monitor and it is in standby mode. Where the light turns on, off, on, off. Like when you turn off the computer but not monitor. I look at the computer and fan starts, stops starts stops etc. I look at the light on the mobo itself and its doing the same thing. So i shut it off. The computer is on a UPS. So it is highly unlikely it took a surge. Not impossible, just unlikely. I turn it back on and same thing. Well sort off. When power on it gets continous power for about 3 total seconds then goes into the on off on off mode. The monitor doesnt even get to the poit to display bios before it powers off. It is just like WTF!. The power intake into the house also has a lightning protector on it. So it reduces the chances of lightning being the cause. Not rule out just reduces. It was raining outside for hours but i never seen any lightning the entire time.

Comp specs.
PSU: Antec 350W from a case
MoBo: AN35N Ultra
CPU: Athlon XP 3000+ running stock (atm) 13x166 (off memory i think thats the stock)
HDD: 2xWD 80gb 7200rpm 8mb cache
Video: Power color 9600xt with the 256mb ram (comes in 128mb and 256mb versions)
OS: FreeBSD, Windows XP Home with fat32 not ntfs, Sky OS, BeOS, ReactOS. (listed in boot order/frequency of use). So it tools for any os i can pretty much use. With exception of mac and linux. Well i have live luinux cd's. However i can even get it to have power long enough to get to bios so not like a utility can help. Just trying to provide as much info as i can.

It has been running no problem for a year. its been overclocked, underclocked but been runniong at stock for 1.5 months.

The only two bossibilities i can think of are mainbored and PSU. I dont have another PSU laying around that is powerful enough. Since i am down two 2 comps in house (used to have 4). The other comp doesnt have compatible PSU.

If you all can think of any other possibilites that would be great. I am stumped. Right now i am having to use my HTPC in the livingroom as my computer. It is awkward because it has been modified so much to meat my needs and does not even resemble windows anymore. Which i am not acomstomed to using on a daily basis. I am used to using freebsd for a couple years now as my desktop computer and only windows for gaming. So this is awkward for me. WAAA! Any help and or ideas are greatly apreciated.

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 12:05:56    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Did you plug it in directly to the wall by-passing the UPS?
jake_johnson
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 09:45:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yes i tried plgging it directly to wall. Same thing. Two diferent rooms with diferent outlets. I removed every non ensential thing from it and still same thing. I dont know. I need to grab a volt meter and see if the power is fluxuating. if thats it then it is probably the PSU. I can buy a new psu no problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: