Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
RIAA and Copyright Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timberwolfblues
Rated R

PostPosted: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 18:12:58    Post Subject: RIAA and Copyright Discussion Reply with quote View Single Post

I wanted to post an opinion and some thoughts on this subject and see what y'alls thoughts and opinions were on the subject. It really makes my hackles sit up and turn red when I hear yet another stupid, meaningless, pointless phrase such as "casual piracy."

It seems to me that the RIAA is doing more in the long run to hurt it'self then it is helping anything/anyone at all. I can understand both sides of the argument that, ok, copyright violation does take place when you download from Limewire and Kazzaa and the like. But, on the other hand, making mixes and copys of music for friends has been around at least since the 8 -track tapes have been out. Very few people on this planet can say that they never took an 8-track, cassette, or CD and made a mix CD or copy of one of their favorite albums for a friend or relative. Pretty much everyone I have ever known or talked to in my life has done this at least once in their life. I have, you have, everyone has. I remember when Napster first came out and it was free and the big place to go and get music. I got gobs of music from there but Napster, Kazzaa and LimeWire do something more important for me, and for just about everyone I know that uses those programs. It gives me a chance to listen to things that I have never heard before and to actually see if I want to buy the latest CD from someone I like or someone I have never heard. The problems that I see coming from all this goes something like this.

1). There is not, as of the time that I type this, a worthwhile music download service that you have to pay for. (In my opinion)
That being said, music costs way too much to download at 99 cents and 79 cents a song. Most CD's come with an average of 10 tracks to them, so we're talking about $10 for an average CD with no case, no liner notes, and youprovide the CD.Now, it seems to me that anyone in their right mind might as well bend over and take it like a man on that one. I can't see at all how that is a good deal in any way shape or form.

2). All these new CD's that have copy protection are beginning to go way over the line in what is sensable.
One of the types of copy protection is XPC2 (I may have that name wrong). What it does, is it lets you take a CD and make up to three copies of it and then no more after that. There is supposed to be a way that you can get around this, something about after you burn the tracks with WinMedia Player they cease to be protected or something like that. As of right now I don;t know too much about that aspect of it.
One, last rant before I wrap this up and that is music services whose tracks cease to function when you cancel your sunscription with them. I am in the process of compiling a list of those that do at the moment and will try and post that as an addendum to this when I get the chance. What the heck kind of sense does that make?!? Not only are they screwing you out of money when you can just as simply go to Wal_Mart or the nearest music store and get something that looks better, is better protected, and comes with professional liner notes. All this in the name of "Oh, people are screwing me out of my hard earned money by not buying my music." For all those whiney music "artists" out there the spew garbage like that I have only one thing to say. When did what you do cease to be about entertainment? Most artists will say (and they are lying through their putrid mouths when they say this I know it!) that "It's all about the music, man." No, apparently it's all about you and the RIAA making so much money you can swim through $1000 dollar bills. Stop making it about the money, and the fact that you think you are better then everyone else, and make it about the music again and be willing to share like everyone learned when they were 3. But that's just my opinion and I might be worng. What do you all think? Two Cents Two Cents Grin Grin
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 20:20:35    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm a supported of free music downloads, I do it despite any issues with the law on it. I like to try out music from a band before I decide to buy things from them. If I've downloaded their stuff and I like what I hear, I'll go ahead and buy the cd.

I also believe I've seen statistics somewhere that showed over the years, as music downloads have increased, so have record sales.

For instance, the first time I ever heard my favorite band, Zebrahead, it was from downloading them off of bearshare. I fell in love with their music, and I now own all of their cds along with some apparel. RIAA makes too big of a deal out of it.

HackaX0rus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 01:19:40    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

i sport limewire...i share too...the RIAA uses scare tactics and they are killing free music...i buy music if its worth it to support bands...
vulcan
Pleased but Sticky.

PostPosted: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 05:17:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm sure i've said it before... Napster, and i think some others, offer a subscription service. This is far cheaper than the 99c/track that most charge. In the UK i know it's about £15, and for that you can downlaod as much as you want to your pc, share it with 3 other pc and keep it there, as long as the subscription is kept up.

I find this a great way of just trying new music, as i can at random just downloa d anew track/s, and just listen in to them to see if i like or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> The Den All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: