Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
help with mput command
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 19:02:06    Post Subject: help with mput command Reply with quote View Single Post

I am using ftp to transfer the server's backup files to a secondary server, and I'm using mput.

The data I want to move has a main folder, with some files in it, as well as one other folder with some more files in it.

When I mput * in the main folder, it sends all the files at that level, but won't do the subfolder or any of its files.

How can I make mput do it all at once?

Thanks!
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

IceNine
*The Freshest*

PostPosted: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 19:39:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I would tar.gz it first. Or use SCP instead of MPUT. I could not find a 'recursive' flag on the manpage.

A letter to a soldier
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 19:42:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The files are all tar.gz

There are 7 files in the main folder, and then seven more in the subfolder, all of which I want separate.

SCP means what in this case? Before FTP I was using SCP as the means of copying them, but I no longer have the ability to do that on the second server... But, I think you are talking about something different anyway.

Thanks!
IceNine
*The Freshest*

PostPosted: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 19:45:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Oh. No shell access eh? You'd need that for SCP.

What you could do after that point is tar up all the files and dirs containing those tgz files. That would create ONE file for them - and no need to re-gzip them...

A letter to a soldier
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 19:50:54    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I guess we were talking about the same thing for SCP... I was just relating SCP to being like FTP and not mput.

Anyway... That second server I had is no longer, but the new owner gave me an FTP account for backups as part of the deal! Grin
IceNine
*The Freshest*

PostPosted: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 19:53:28    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I was just saying that SCP can be recursive, but since you don't have shell access, try my other suggestion. Smile Or if that doesn't work for you I can dig something else up. I've read a bunch of posts that say MPUT cannot go recursive.

A letter to a soldier
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 20:06:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I think my solution is to just change the naming structure I created for these auto-generated files... so, they can all be kept in one folder and easily copied to the backup server... thanks.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

thePMG
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 21:48:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

Works great for windows users, if you have shell access on your Linux machines. (and you should)

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 21:51:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yeah, my deal is two Linux machines... one with shell access, the other without.

Thanks for the link though... I am going to keep that for transfers home. Grin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: