Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Hitachi Deskstar 7K500 500GB SATA-II Hard Drive
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:36:25    Post Subject: Hitachi Deskstar 7K500 500GB SATA-II Hard Drive Reply with quote View Single Post

The Hitachi Deskstar 7K500 500GB SATA-II hard drive raises the bar for those who subscribe to the theory that bigger is better... This is the first drive to come across our test bench with SATA300 speed, and it provides the largest capacity (500GB) and most cache memory (16MB) that we have seen to date. - The Review

Last edited by Doctor Feelgood on Fri, 28 Apr 2006 14:12:05; edited 1 time in total
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

efesar
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 15:23:26    Post Subject: Enable / Check Status of NCQ on Seagate 7200.8 Reply with quote View Single Post

I've been searching for a way to check to see if my NCQ is enabled, and a utility to enable/disable it. I've got 400 GB Seagate 7200.8's on an NF4 mobo. I tried various nVidia and Seagate utils. Can the writers of the article (or someone with this knowledge) help me out? Thanks.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 15:31:30    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Welcome efesar! Wave

The utility I used for the Seagate and Hitachi reviews published this week was actually provided with the Promise controller. They call it PAM, and you just click to enable/disable NCQ, and then reboot.

Hopefully someone with more nForce4 insight can chime in on that end of it for you...
efesar
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 15:45:20    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Big Bruin wrote:
Hopefully someone with more nForce4 insight can chime in on that end of it for you...

Hey I did find something. Maybe this will help anybody who is looking.

Device Manager, go to the properties for the SATA controller. If the checkbox for NCQ is enabled, the drive supports it and it is enabled. According to Seagate, NCQ is enabled in the drive from the factory.

For the record, mine is on and automatically checked. I'm running the Seagates in a new file server (about 30 clients) and it blows away the old file server which had SCSI 160, about 8 10k & 15k drives (various generations) -- although for fairness, it was an old system with dual 350MHz P2's, so the bus, memory and CPU limitations probably bottlenecked the drives.

Big Bruin, thanks for the article and the comparison. Very helpful. Are you going to test those drives out in a RAID 0 comparison soon? I'd like to read that for both the Hitachi's and the Seagates.

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 15:49:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I asked for a pair of the Hitachi's but I imagine the price was prohibitive for a sample request like that ($800ish for two drives)!

I may be able to borrow one, we'll see, but nothing official will be coming from Hitachi.

I hope to get the Seagate's tested on a nForce4 RAID controller, since I have the pair, and the PCI bus was no doubt the bottle neck for their performance.

Next up... Maxtor SATA drives... Grin
jay2115
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 13:55:39    Post Subject: Where is the MTBF for this Hitachi? Reply with quote View Single Post

I wonder why many manufacturers do not include the Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) statistic?

The author also encountered the smoke and mirror routine concerning warranty. I purchased a Hitachi/IBM DeskStar SCSI hard drive U160 type. When it failed I went to Hitachi's site and entered the drive serial number. The drive sn# came back as 'Not in Warrany' sold to, if memory serves COS or CSB or some such. Bottom line was the same it WAS NOT in warranty and it failed in 15 months of my purchase.

Caveat Emptor!!

martins
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 08:12:17    Post Subject: HDD Controller Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi,
would it be possible to get a better picture of the HDD controller from the drive (The 144-LQFP in the middle of the board) ? I wonder about the brand/model of this chip.
Regards,
Martin
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 08:14:02    Post Subject: Re: HDD Controller Reply with quote View Single Post

martins wrote:
Hi,
would it be possible to get a better picture of the HDD controller from the drive (The 144-LQFP in the middle of the board) ? I wonder about the brand/model of this chip.
Regards,
Martin

Will do... But not until I get home in about 10 hours!
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 22:24:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Here is the memory and what I assumed was the controller chip...
Ysean
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 22:43:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I can't help but wonder why people even pump the bus protocol's bandwidth capacity when it rarely has any affect on actual throughput. All review sites do it. I just don't understand why. It almost makes me wonder if they understand the difference. There are 4 throughput #'s. Only 2 really matter. The interface (aka connector/controller) bandwidth and the sustained bandwidth. The talk of 3.0 Gb/s means nothing. It's SATA-II's signal maximum bandwidth. As SATA has only been implemented (from what I've seen) as a point to point connection, not in it's serial potential, this bandwidth is per device. No drive on the market can or will be able to come close to this throughput for years to come without some major innovation. The truly important information for performance is Native Command Queuing and sustained throughput.

Sorry for the rant being my first post. I don't read desktop related reviews much these days.

Cheers,
Ysean
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Storage All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: