Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Video Cards
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timberwolfblues
Rated R

PostPosted: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 11:41:38    Post Subject: Video Cards Reply with quote View Single Post

Hey all. I was just looking at some video cards on newegg and zipzoom fly. I have an AGP slot on my mobo and was wondering what a good video card (AGP) would be to play the likes of Doom 3 and games such as that. Just looking for some opinions. Thanks! Wave Confused
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

travis
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 11:43:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Price range is a big factor?
timberwolfblues
Rated R

PostPosted: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 11:46:45    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yeah for right now it is. Maybe $250 max. I didn't know if anyone knew of anything that was high quailty but decent price or what I would have to invest in to be able to have real nice graphics and good game playing capability.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 11:54:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Many of the high end PCIe cards are also available in AGP, but they can also go up into the $4/$5 range! Yikes

For your price range (barely), there is the ATI X800 256MB... which might be as much power as you are going to get for the $.

Or for about a hundy less, there is the GeForce 6600 GT 128MB, which is a popular and strong choice.

You can easily be closer to $100 with a 6600 (no GT), and it would still do well.
timberwolfblues
Rated R

PostPosted: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 11:57:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Ok that's cool I was thinking I would have to spend about $300 to $500 I might get a good one and then upgrade later after some major saving, LOL
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 12:01:18    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I personally am just hesitant to put much money into an AGP card. Next board will most deifinitely be PCIe, and spending several hundred on something with such a short life might not be worth it.
timberwolfblues
Rated R

PostPosted: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 12:49:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yeah, see I was thinking about that too and I think I will wait till I get a PCIe board and just use the comp I have now as a play machine and wait to build something for Doom 3 later. Is PCIe the best now?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

talkster5
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:52:57    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I was thinking the same when I purchased my card a few weeks ago so I could play BF2. For now I just got the 6600GT as in a years time I will probably upgrade the mobo and cpu again and will get a PCI-E board.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 16:56:30    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I agree with BB.... Don't spend big $$ on a AGP card unless you really plan on keeping your PC for 2 to 3 years.
MrAndersen
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:07:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Spend a little more for the 6800GT over the 6600GT. The 6800GT is like getting 2 6600GT's and its not quite twice the price. Which still puts it in your price range.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: