Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Needing Help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwgeorge
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 22:29:29    Post Subject: Needing Help! Reply with quote View Single Post

I am needing help in connecting a portable mp3 player directly to a car amplifier. What I am wanting to do is eliminate my car stereo head unit from my vehicle and use a Sandisk-like portable mp3/FM tuner, connected directly to a car amplifier.
I would like to velcro the mp3 player to the dash and plug it into the amplifier.
Why not just use a car head unit?
Because, I have a Scout 4x4 and it rides like a box of rocks and destroys head units.
I am trying to understand if I can interface the line-level output of the mp3 player into the line-level input of the amplifier.
Is this possible? Will the voltages play nicely together? I do understand I have to compare the specs of the two components together.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I am a mechanical engineer, not an electrical engineer, so I am electronically disadvantaged.

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 17:17:09    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

As another mechanical engineer, I think this would work... I have connected the headphone jack of my MP3 player straight to a small stereo amp using a cable that goes from the 1/8" stereo jack to two RCA jacks to match the amp.

Worth a shot... Just start with the volume way down low on the MP3 player, since I am guessing that will now be your only source of control, and you don't want to blow anything... Laughing
jake_johnson
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 21:07:20    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thats how I do it. For volume control you have the power adjster on amp. And volume on mp3 player.

And I can have bother mine at 100%. Note. My amp max power is 800wats. I wont user speakers that have less then a 1000watt max. I dont chance blowing things.

I have pretty penny invested in speakers etc.

But yes it works.

Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 21:28:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yup, that's how mine is configured in my car. Pluged the wire that BB mentioned into the Aux port on the back of my mp3/cd in dash player, and connect the headphone end to my MP3 player. Works great.

Next time I get a new in-dash player though, I'm going to look at one of those with a USB connection on it, that uses USB flash memory sticks.
jwgeorge
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 21:51:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks for all the replies.
I assumed that there would be some interface issue.
But, I am glad to hear that it works!
Thanks to all ! Grin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: