Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Help me pick a new Motherboard
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:32:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

So let's say that I decide to go with an amd system. What's with the naming scheme that they have? Athlon seems to be their primary market line, but then there are the new Opteron Dual Core, Opterons with a 3 digit series number (?) along with Semprons and Durons. I assume that the Athlon 64s are true 64 bit cores, right? What's the difference with the other ones?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 12:57:30    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Opterons are the Server cores (more cache mainly) Same with Dual Core.. just two CPU's on one die. Don't bother with Semprons or Durons.

The 3 digit number on the Opterons are model numbers... the first digit tells how many CPU's can be used in a system (a 140 means single, 240 means Dual, and 440 means Quad).
uscfan
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 02:16:29    Post Subject: Compaq Reply with quote View Single Post

I have a compaq laptop with an AMD btw, and am trying to build a new rig but I have little funds. I was also thinking about the EPoX board or the Fatal1ty but it seems the Ultra-D totally owns everyone. Oh yeah, tons of reasons why AMD 0wns intel.

A) Dell uses intel
B) AMD has onboard mem controller -> WAYYY FASTER memory xfer
C) AMD processors just perform better despite their lower clocks, becuase clockspeed does not really matter, especially with an intel. FUGGER on XtremeSystems hit 7GHz on his p4 and it didnt do jack s#!7.

So really, save your money, buy an AMD computer and reap the benefits both economically and peformance wise.

Powercolor X800XL
OCZ Powerstream 520
OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 Platinum Revision 2 (Samsung TCCD)
Current Venice System fund: $500
:slobber:
PRpaTi
Rated R

PostPosted: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:18:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

If you're on a budget, consider the MSI K8N Neo4 F (nForce4 non-ultra)... it's pretty cheap if you don't mind the lack of firewire and a few other trinckets. I bought it @ $89 a few weeks ago, so I don't know why they bumped the price now...

Apparently you can convert the Nforce4 (non-ultra) to ultra w/ SATA-2 and SLI support! Yikes

Link
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: