Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Need Help Diagnosing Failure
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 14:00:45    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

One thing to note on that PSU, is it doesn't have PFC. And no.. that doesn't mean it's not a Private First Class. It means it doesn't have Power Factor Correction.

In not my own words...

Quote:
Power Factor Correction (PFC) allows power distribution to operate at its maximum efficiency. There are two types of PFC, Active PFC and Passive PFC. All of our power supplies are either Active PFC Power Supplies or Passive PFC Power Supplies.

Active PFC
The preferable type of PFC is Active Power Factor Correction (Active PFC) since it provides more efficient power frequency. Because Active PFC uses a circuit to correct power factor, Active PFC is able to generate a theoretical power factor of over 95%. Active Power Factor Correction also markedly diminishes total harmonics, automatically corrects for AC input voltage, and is capable of a full range of input voltage. Since Active PFC is the more complex method of Power Factor Correction, it is more expensive to produce an Active PFC power supply.

Passive PFC
The most common type of PFC is Passive Power Factor Correction (Passive PFC). Passive PFC uses a capacitive filter at the AC input to correct poor power factor. Passive PFC may be affected when environmental vibration occurs. Passive PFC requires that the AC input voltage be set manually. Passive PFC also does not use the full energy potential of the AC line.

Non-PFC
Non-PFC power supplies are no longer recommended. In fact, in Europe, power supplies are now required to have either active power factor correction or passive power factor correction
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 14:02:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Or just read some of our reviews for PFC discussion...
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 14:03:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yea, read our reviews d@mit!!!! Grin
JimBowy

PostPosted: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 16:01:35    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yes... Reading the reviews is something I think everyone here can agree on.
franks_geckos
Rated PG

PostPosted: Tue, 03 May 2005 12:42:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I will try to read some reviews for reference. Perhaps, I will buy a new PS with my private stash of cash Wave

I may even change out the cooling fan on the side and front of the tower as well for good measure. The one on the side, though free spinning, seems to be making some sporadic humming vibration every now and then. I think it is a 80mm. Any recommendations on brands of cooling fans I should buy and/or avoid?

"I dread success. To have succeeded is to have finished one's business on earth, like the male spider, who is killed by the female the moment he has succeeded in his courtship. I like a state of continual becoming, with a goal in front and not behind." - George Bernard Shaw
HackaX0rus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 03 May 2005 14:36:35    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

PSU reviews is what he have alot of here Laughing ...i think all the reviewers have done about 2.
JimBowy

PostPosted: Tue, 03 May 2005 15:09:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

HackaX0rus wrote:
PSU reviews is what he have alot of here Laughing ...i think all the reviewers have done about 2.

Three here plus an independent testing of my Antec PSU.

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

HackaX0rus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 03 May 2005 15:44:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Laughing ...maby 3 per reviewer Laughing .
zachig
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 05 May 2005 02:15:28    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I think that it's very important to invest in good quality PSU.

I've recently read some reviews on the Antec NeoPower 480W PSU, and it is awesome. I'm planning on buying it soon.

A good PSU costs a lot, that's a fact.
JimBowy

PostPosted: Thu, 05 May 2005 02:17:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

zachig wrote:
I think that it's very important to invest in good quality PSU.

I've recently read some reviews on the Antec NeoPower 480W PSU, and it is awesome. I'm planning on buying it soon.

A good PSU costs a lot, that's a fact.

They sure do.

I love Antec, ever since I've started using them. They were great when my voltages were fluctuating too. They RMA'ed w/o question! (The best part is, I think I broke it by allowing a molex connector to short-out a few times on the side of my metal-case)...... DOH!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: