Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Odd Linux Partioning?!?
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:56:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

IceNine wrote:
My only thought is that all the swapping that the db does could compromise the life of the backup drive.

That is why you put the DB on the 2nd drive, and the backup on the 1st drive (with the OS).

You could even then make a 2nd backup on the 2nd hdd, and backup the system on to it. That way you have the DB backup on the OS drive, and the OS (well the config's) backed up on the DB drive.

I would also suggest a once a week download of the backups to an off site location (i.e. home PC).
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

IceNine
*The Freshest*

PostPosted: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 15:00:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dr. EvilCheeze wrote:
I would also suggest a once a week download of the backups to an off site location (i.e. home PC).

We maintain our backups on our main webserver (RAID Mirroring) as well as FTP it to a local box every night. It's easy and effective.

A letter to a soldier
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 15:08:52    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

for NWT, I have a RAID 1 setup and have the OS & Apache on 1 partition, and the DB & site files on another. I then do a nightly back up to file, and then burn it on to a CD.

So I have redundancy (RAID 1 & multiple backup locations) and protection against corruption (by the nightly backups).
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 15:10:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

In addition to the nightly backups from drive a to b, I do download the whole shebang to my PC on a regular basis, too.

You guys are too confusing (or is it confused)... Laughing

How about this?

mySQL stays put in /var/lib on sda.
/home stays put on sdb.
a mySQL backup folder is created on sdb.
a /home backup folder is created on sda.

All files are downloaded on a regular basis. AND, if it seems economically viable to keep the existing server too, all files get backed up there weekly!
IceNine
*The Freshest*

PostPosted: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 15:14:29    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

You just do a hard link for the MySQL backup? My recommendation is to use the mysqldump utility to pipe the data into a file, then gzip it for archival. Plus, what method creates all the backups?

A letter to a soldier
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 15:18:33    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

OK... I'd move mySQL to sdb (different drive than the OS).

Have Apache on sda, and.... I guess I'd put /home (site files) on sdb too.... then backup it all to sda.

That way you have your OS, and OS/Apache Cache, and backups on sda. Then your mySQL & site files are on sdb. Should give you the best performance/safety you can have with 2 drives.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 15:26:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

IceNine wrote:
My recommendation is to use the mysqldump utility to pipe the data into a file, then gzip it for archival. Plus, what method creates all the backups?

Yes, that is what I do, and plan to keep doing. I have CRONs setup to run that nightly.

Presently... the first CRON does a mysqldump from drive a to b everyday at 2AM. The next CRON is based on the day of the week, so I can maintain 7 recent backups... So, at 3AM this CRON gzips the mysqldump file into an archive with the day of the week in the filename. Therefore, there are 8 files in the sql bacup folder at any given time.

OK, I will put the mySQL on drive b now, and symlink it back into /var/lib on drive a.

I will then create my backups of /home and mySQL to sda.

Right?

Now... what about finding the rest of the disk space I think I should have?!?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

IceNine
*The Freshest*

PostPosted: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 15:27:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Fdisk. Smile

A letter to a soldier
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 15:33:14    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Laughing

yea, I do a mysqldump nightly I then rename the file to the date, zip it, put it in a backup dir, and burn it to a CD (speaking of... I think I need to change the CD)
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 15:34:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks for all the info... Laughing

Isn't fdisk a Windows thing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: