Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
whats the longest you have gone with out a computer problem
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 00:21:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Had my last computer problem about a month ago. Was swapping a AMD 64 MB from one case to another...worked fine originally, moved it, and was blown. I think I realize what I did, something really stupid.

Got pissed at the board because one of the screws was stripped and woudln't come out of the riser, so tugged on the board to use it as a base for the screw to catch on Grin LOL Didn't think about it until about a week after I bought a new board. That board went in for warranty repair, and will be back in my hands tomorrow Smile brand new!

MSI said they don't know what caused the baord to malfunction. hhehehhe
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Kilamon
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:12:20    Post Subject: Re: whats the longest you have gone with out a computer prob Reply with quote View Single Post

renovation wrote:
what is the longest time before you got a error message -or had a program go do a odd thing ,part break , Yikes

also whats the worst mistake you ever done to your computer system -that cost you money or lots of time to repair .

Most recently, about a year. Then Winamp broke. Bang Head Now I'm forced to use Windows Media Player. Oh well. Reinstalling WinAmp can't seem to fix, not even uninstalling it. If I feel inspired some time (it's been 3 months now) maybeI'll hunt down all the registry entries and really remove everything before reinstalling. It's hardly a large issue to me. Litestep keeps my system running smooth.

As for a mistake.... hmm I've never actually made a mistake that broke something, but once while I was playing Tomb Raider (back in the day) and I was stuck at a specific point (I think I needed to jump a boat or something) and I sat there for a half hour fumbling with it and got pissed off and threw my keyboard down. Yeah. Time for a new keyboard after that. Broke a few keys.

update: Yeah, i fixed WinAmp. Smile

Last edited by Kilamon on Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:06:29; edited 1 time in total
Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:55:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Umm, I think the last time I had a "problem" was when I my cousin's kid killed a HDD I had hooked up and sitting in the bay on top of my DVD-RW (just long enough for me to transfer stuff to it and then remove it).

Otherwise, I've had problems with some apps not compiling (always resolved of course), and my monitor fried when I moved my computer to my room thanks to outlets with the wires reversed and missing a ground.

My computer is about to the point of a kitchen appliance, it's there, I use it everyday, but it's pretty much transparent.

PoisonedPawn45
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 01:18:04    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Back in the day, my Windows 95/98 system would crash DAILY, at least! When I moved on to Win2000, crashes were once a week or so. WinXP has it up to once every other month or so.
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 10:43:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Now that's PROGRESS! Laughing

Actually, one month without a crash on a home system is pretty damn good for any version of windows.

dude@localhost ~ $ uptime
09:43:21 up 27 days, 16:17, 3 users, load average: 3.79, 4.11, 3.18

The reason that's not two months is because I had to move the computer. I'm going to update my kernel in the next week or two, but I'm going to try doing it withough restarting the system.

For the record, I've only had Linux crash once, and that was my fault for messing up a kernel I made in slackware. Otherwise it's just been dinky apps that crash, never the OS itself.

dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:15:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

LOL so Dud3 are you saying that Linux makes your apps crash? Only crash I can recall on my present system has been caused by me trying to over clock it more than it likes and yes I am running Win XP
Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:21:47    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

What? No.. I'm saying that some applications crash sometimes because someone forgot a ; in the code somewhere. Laughing

For the record, my entire system is comprised of developement stuff, even so, it's still rock solid. If I was running older, stable versions of everything I wouldn't even be in this thread.

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

HackaX0rus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:11:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

ahh jsut had to reformat again...all my stuff gone sept for my music. i installed servicepack2 and it started artifacting games and laggin ym pc. so i uninstalled it and it worked fine but the next morning my hdd was corrupt and i couldnt repair it case windows was so fubared...so here i am rebuilding my collection of software... Wave
pjarvi
Rated PG

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 00:38:00    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The last computer I built lasted for 4 years without a single hardware problem, and only 1 software problem. I had to re-install WinXP once after a DVD backup program hosed the partition table.

The worst damage i've done to a system was installing an AMD 486/133mhx CPU the wrong way. The AMD CPUs at that time had fewer pins than the socket they were used in, which led to quite a few fried chips back then(1995 IIRC). Had to get a new mobo and CPU($200+), but the ram and other components survived.

Other than that I damaged the memory slots on a motherboard before, trying to force RAM in at a bad angle, and fried a video card that had upgrade sockets for memory(put 10ns memory in when it needed 8ns, this was back around '93-'94). I've also pounded a few dial-up external modems on my desk, but they just wouldn't die.

Last edited by pjarvi on Fri, 01 Apr 2005 00:26:01; edited 1 time in total
vulcan
Pleased but Sticky.

PostPosted: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 03:23:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Lets see... would be aroubd the time i fried my hdd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> The Den All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: