Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Victim or "Lucky"
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is this boy a victim, or very willing participant?
Victim
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Willing participant
87%
 87%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 8

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 13:32:42    Post Subject: Victim or "Lucky" Reply with quote View Single Post

Ok.. now I'm not saying I condone teachers having sex with students (becasue I don't)... but do you think thie 16 yr boy was a victim, or a kid who thinks he's lucky?

Quote:
As she sat outside McClatchy High School, waiting for her father to pick her up, 17-year-old Katie Haakenson fiddled with her cell phone.

Campus had been abuzz Wednesday, she said.

"Everyone's talking about it," Haakenson said. "It's definitely been the big thing."

The big thing Haakenson was referring to was the arrest over the weekend of Margaret De Barraicua, a 30-year-old teacher intern at the school.

De Barraicua is accused of having sex with a 16-year-old male student in her car, with her 2-year-old child strapped in a safety seat in the back. She is scheduled to be arraigned Monday.

Similar arrests have been made across the nation recently. In Tennessee, Florida and Texas this month, female teachers have been charged with having sex with teenage male students. In San Mateo County, a female teacher was arrested last month after DNA tests confirmed a former student - then 16 - had fathered her child, now 2.

The most high-profile of the cases is the Washington state story of teacher Mary Kay Letourneau and Vili Fualaau. Letourneau was recently released from prison after serving a sentence for having sex with Fualaau when he was 12. That case was on the mind of McClatchy students as they reacted to the news from their own campus.

Many students - male and female - called the situation at McClatchy "wrong," "bad," "gross" and "nasty." One student, however, had a reaction that experts say reflects one of the problems teenage boys face in recovering from sexual abuse by an adult woman.

"Whoa! At our school?" said a 16-year-old boy. "When is it my turn?"

Terri Miller, president of the New York-based Stop Educator Sexual Abuse Misconduct and Exploitation, said boys who are victimized by women suffer more long-term effects than boys who are victimized by men.

"Everyone else is touting it as a conquest for the boy - rather than victimization - giving him pats on the back," Miller said.

"Inside he is feeling very traumatized, very victimized, but he can't express that openly, so he's more likely to suffer trauma."

Boys who are sexually abused by women are more likely to drop out of school, attempt suicide and use alcohol or drugs, Miller said, than boys who are abused by men.

And she is adamant that sexual activity between a teacher and a student is abuse - even when the parties claim it is consensual.

"It is not a relationship," Miller said. "There is a power imbalance between a teacher of any age and a student of any age."

Sacramento Police Sgt. Justin Risley said De Barraicua and the student were involved in a "consensual relationship."

"He didn't appear to have a real problem with it," Risley said.

But Nicolette Bautista, executive director of Women Escaping a Violent Environment, said because of the boy's age, it's inaccurate to call it consensual.

"The law is clear that this is a case of assault," Bautista said.

Neither Miller nor Bautista had data on how many cases of teacher-student sexual abuse involve female teachers, as opposed to male. But both said abuse by women is much more rare.

A handful of McClatchy students said they would think of the situation differently if the teacher had been a man having sex with a female student.

"I'd be more inclined to say he forced himself on her," said Haakenson, the student waiting to be picked up. She said the arrest was a topic of discussion in her English class.

Walking through the school parking lot, Erys Gordon, 15, agreed with Haakenson. "It would have blew up more if the teacher was a guy," she said.

Most students interviewed said they did not know De Barraicua, the teacher intern accused in the incident. McClatchy Principal Daisy Lee said De Barraicua was an intern, training to become a special education teacher.

"The action of this particular teacher in no way reflects the staff and teachers at this school," Lee said. "This kind of isolated incident could have happened at any school."

Miller, of the Stop Educator Sexual Abuse group, said the prevalence of recent news stories concerning female teachers and male students has opened the floodgates for teenage boys to come forward with stories of being abused by female teachers.

"When the word gets out, victims start telling," Miller said.

"When one comes forward, the rest come forward. That's why we're hearing of a few more of these kinds of cases being reported."

Chelsae Wilkins, 14, was sitting with friends at a picnic table Wednesday after school. She said she fears the incident will spur repercussions on campus.

"It's just nasty. It's disgusting," she said. "It's like you can't really trust your teachers, anymore."

http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/crime/story/12442491p-13298674c.html

OOO And here's the picture they showed of here (like it matters)

Last edited by BeerCheeze on Thu, 24 Feb 2005 13:49:27; edited 1 time in total
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 13:41:30    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I dont condone the act either but come on a 16yr old boy having sex with is teacher is going to feel pretty high and mighty at the time, not like a victim
HackaX0rus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 13:56:10    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Quote:
"Whoa! At our school?" said a 16-year-old boy. "When is it my turn?"

I think that its pretty disgusting...but funny none the less that teachers and kids are that desparate. Crazy Thats jsut wrong.

T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:47:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Irregardless of he wanted it or not, the teacher is a (supposidly) responsable adult, who should NEVER give in to any such desire.
EC would you feel the same if one of your kids teachers 'helped' them at 6,8,10,12,...., because they "wanted it".?
dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:55:07    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I cant speak for EC but I dont think he is defending the teachers actions and like me is actually opposed to them or think they are very wrong I doubt anyone questions that. The question is just how much of a victim is this 16 yr old boy? How much damage was done to him?
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:09:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

As I said.. I don't condone it. However... a 6 yr old is much different than a 16 yr old... so is a 8, 10, 12 yr old.

Fact is society is placing "moral" restrictions on evolved physical needs/desires. What was the average human life span 100 yrs ago? 200 yrs ago, 500 yrs ago?? MUCH shorter than they are now. Our urge for reproduction was formed 1000's of years ago, and until very recent history our life spans have not dramatically increased so the need for quick procreation was critical to our survival as a race.

This little fact is over looked too often. And people are trying to victimize everyone, including teenage boys who have sex with older women. These boys aren't traumatized... at least not until they are told they are and what they did was disgusting, wrong, and immoral. It's those people that are victimizing these kids.

Instead of sitting down and talking to them and saying.. "look... you just did what you felt. And why it's not a good thing, we understand..." And then explain to them why it's not good... and what the repercussions of sex are.
HackaX0rus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:46:56    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Us 16 year olds arent dumb*most of the time* Laughing ...I know he knew what he ws doing and we learn about sex ed every year from 5th to 9th so he was well aware of the consequences and the actions involving the situation.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 18:59:31    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

f#*@! Fifth grade!?!?!
HackaX0rus
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 01:36:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Ya they have to make it that young because its either the teachers tell you about it or a kid on the playground informs you how babies are made. I think parents would prefer 5th grade over what one of their childrens peers told them.
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 16:38:56    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'm kinda mixed on it...

Victim= yes. Because if it were any of us >18 year old males humping a 17 year old girl, we would be in jail. Law applies equally.

Victim= no. Because I woulda done the same thing. I would humped her brains out like it was my last piece I'll ever get.

Society has a way of portraying "youth" as not being able to think for themselves and being so easy to over manipulate, That boy chose to do the teacher. He could have walked out of the situation on his own.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> The Den All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: