Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Building a New Comp
View previous topic :: View next topic  
znoopy1234
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 23:50:41    Post Subject: Building a New Comp Reply with quote View Single Post

Well, after sticking with my old Dell for way too long, I have finally decided to build a new comp. Since it is going to be in a rather public place, I actually preferred a heavier case, so I splurged my summer savings and bought a Xaser 3 V1000 (the steel one). Yes, I realize that most ppl believe that aluminum actually makes a difference in heat transfer, for a difference of 75$, I do not see this happening for me.

Did I mention I have never built a computer before?

Well, it took me over an hour to realize that the monster had neither come with drive rails nor a temp sensor... damn...
This revelation would have come a lot sooner had I known what drive rails were...

Just great... I am leaving for uni tomorrow (labour day) and my #*$&^*# comp will not even be ready. To make my situation worse, I purchased the case from Markham (not shipped) from Canada Computers, and although they have a loc in T.O, carrying the great trouble across streets and on streetcars is more than just a hassle (does anyone know if they can replace ONLY the missing parts?)

Well, besides from the case, there are a few other aspects of comp building that are on my mind. For example, the correct application of Arctic Ice. I tried to follow the instructions on the site, but does the film on the CPU have to be THAT even in order for proper conduction?

More questions...

The temp sensor. When it comes (if Canada Computers ever sends me one), how would it be positioned to measure the CPU temp? I have noticed that P4 dies are much smaller than older pentium and intel dies, and I worry about the amount of room required for a heat prob placed under a CPU.

Thirdly, my sound card. The mobo I bought is a p4c 800-e that all the forums claim is the 'best,' however, I have an 'older' SB Audigy 2 given by a friend that I prefer over the on-board sound that I do not know how to install since its size appears larger than the pci slots on the mobo (it does use PCI, right?).

All these prob seem like noob quests, and they are.
Any help would be great.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 00:29:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Put a single layer of plastic wrap over one finger and smear the Arctic Silver on the die, that should be good. It must be thin, I mean real thin, like just thin enough that you can't read the writing on the core.

As for the audigy, no problem, it is a PCI device and you have PCI slots, end of story. Make sure you disable any onboard sound in bios. You may want to play with the onboard sound a bit, try it out first. Audigys are notorious for taking up way more than their fair share of system resources. Onboard sound has gotten very good in the last few years. I run the Soundstorm audio on my board and love it!!!

I don't know if you really want to put that temp sensor UNDER or on top of the CPU. I would embed it into your heatsink out of the way somehow. Just my opinion!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: