Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Suspicious E-mails
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 16:03:58    Post Subject: Suspicious E-mails Reply with quote View Single Post

I have gotten no less than 40 e-mail today with what looks to be a virus attached... They all have subjects like "My Details" or "Your Info", and have attachments with either .scr or .pif file extensions.

Is there something new going around? I get this kind of stuff on occasion, but never in this volume!!
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

PooM
Rated R

PostPosted: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 16:41:31    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I've heard a rumor that "hack the planet" is comming back and we should all be on "red alert", turn all your firewalls to paranoid settings(dont let nothing in) and delete emails you dont know who the sender is.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 18:47:26    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well, here it is: "A new variant of the Sobig worm is spreading rapidly across the Internet this afternoon."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/56/32410.html
ldonyo
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 09:53:24    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yep, and if your email address is public (like when you run a website) then you can expect to get all kinds of replies from people and places you never knew existed, because Sobig spoofs email headers on top of all the other carnage it causes.
T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 14:54:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

and when it finds you address on other machines it may use it in the from line.
Like most viri, the social manipulation (either a irresistable subject line or , appearing to be sent from a "friendly" address) is vital to spreading it. Not alot different than spam.
Some people would open , it even if the subject was "this is a vivrus if it seems to come from friends, family, or work.
Yair
Rated R

PostPosted: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 09:57:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

i don't get the actual email of the virus as much as i get the automatic "u sent us a virus" emails and returned mails

those "u sent us virus" is so stupid,probably just %1 or maybe even less of those emails sent are actually sent to the real sender, and not the spoofed one

those stupid webmails dont have a virus scanner Bang Head

PostPosted: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 18:26:33    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Ya, i was going to say its SoBig. Only 2 of my six email addresses have been getting hammered by SoBig.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 18:32:19    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

It sure was the worm... I just started getting them before I saw the alerts of what to be looking for...
bigapl
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 19:18:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

i got 20 before i patched good to go now
znoopy1234
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 22:48:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Does anyone know what spam controls in Microsoft Hotmail block the spamming virus (how do they work), because my other internet email account with Yahoo is still being unrelentlessly affected.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: