Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Gimme a computer for $600.00
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 00:40:59    Post Subject: Gimme a computer for $600.00 Reply with quote View Single Post

So a guy walks into a bar and...

Sorry, wrong start, let's try again.

I have a buddy that said to me, I want a computer. I asked him, "For what"? He says, "Ya know, MP3's, intarnet, pRon, but no games, I hate games." So I says to him, "What processor do you want?" He gets this look on his face and answers, " Um, what's as processor, just gimme a computer?" I then query him to how much does he wanna spend, I get,"$600.00, give or take." "Do you need a monitor", I foolishly ask. "No, I'll get one at Costco", is his reply.

So here is your challenge, make a BLACK (don't ask) computer, with keyboard, mouse, CD-RW, preferably AMD based, for a guy with complete lack of interest in computers (but a large interest in Digi-pRon).

Spend all the $600.00, but don't go over $650.00 DELIVERED to him. Everything but a monitor, he thinks he is the Monitor expert and has already picked out the one to give the most detailed "images". Laughing Rolling Eyes Loser

P.S. I have a pretty good system figured out. This is a contest!!! Yikes
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 02 Aug 2003 09:40:45    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well, the easy answer is Dell... I just got three Dimension 2400 systems from them for a friend's office and the came in at $499 each... They included a 2.2GHz Celeron, 256MB PC2700, 40GB HDD, mouse, keyboard, sound, lan, video, your choice of a 17" CRT or a 15" TFT LCD, Win XP Home preinstalled... and some other goodies!

I know, I know... it's Dell... but for someone who doesn't really know or care about the high end stuff, its a great system... And it is all black... Laughing
JimBowy

PostPosted: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 03:11:01    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Ha, I've mentioned the "Del..." word around Spire and he doesnt like it very much. Anyhow, I'll agree with you on this suggestion though. You can pickup "refurbs" off the Dell site (and im talking some really nice computers for about $450 if you look at the site at the right time of day...

Hi Spire Wave

Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 22:38:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Ok, here's how it went:

NEWEGG
Biostar M7VIG $56.00
Generic 512 Mb PC2700 $66.00
Samsung 120Gig 7200 $92.00
AMD XP2400+ $86.00
52x32x52 blk LiteOn $45.00
Blk Floppy $7.00
Some 56K Modem $8.00
Logitech Optical Desktop $31.00
Winblows XP Home $93.00
Logitech Z-640 5.1 $65.00
Shipping/Tax $62.29

COMPGEEKS
KG-200B-BLK case/300w PS $24.50
Shipping/Tax $9.90

GRAND TOTAL $645.68

Now I know the Dell thing is a very real alternative, but I think this machine will do a very nice job. By the time you get soem goodies, the Dell price goes up. They always throw in some kicker (LCD/DVD-RW) to make people buy these things. My kicker is...um...lets just say GOODIES for the HDD!!! Dell ain't got that!!!
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 00:57:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Let me just put it this way...

Friend: "My computer is broken"

1st Scenario:

Spire: "Hmmm better call Tech Support"
Friend: "Yea, I got dell's number here..."

2nd Scenario:

Spire: "Hmmm better call Tech Support"
Friend "Who do you think you are?"
Spire: "DOH!!"
JimBowy

PostPosted: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 01:55:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

HaHa...
That's my problem with building cheaper computers and not using proven-name brand stuff...

Although I've never experienced the 2nd scenerio... its something you never want to experience.

Good Point Cheese! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Spire
Hall Pass B!tch!!!

PostPosted: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 20:04:56    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Tech support??? They don't break when I build them!!! Rolling Eyes Bang Head Confused Confused Confused Bang Head

No, really, though, I might get a call from some friends once every 3-4 months, but its usually something like, where is the volume knob on my speakers. I think the people don't use the computers after they build them.

I have something like 6 or so people that have my machines. I don't do this very often for the "Tech Support" headache thing, It can get way out of control.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 21:52:40    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

That Dell deal I mentioned before is back... http://www.ableshoppers.com/#13082021

$349 for a 2.2 GHz Celeron... Last time they had a free memory upgrade to 256MB PC2700... Not sure its there this go around...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: