Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
HD questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankieB
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 13:36:49    Post Subject: HD questions Reply with quote View Single Post

I am building my new machine from the mobo i won here a few weeks back, and i am looking around at hd's and wanted to ask something.

Give you an idea of what this hd is going to be used for, it is mostly going to be a work machine with large graphic files, no games.

Would i really see a different between a ata-133 or a ata-100?

or would it be better to look for a hd with a high cache like 8, i normally see 2meg drives.

anything else i should look form when getting this drive? i am thinking of getting a 40 - 60 gig drive. Since i burn most of my work when i am done. So as for storage i do not need if for now.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 15:13:56    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

You probably wouldn't notice the difference between ATA133 and ATA100, but the prices aren't that different and you may as well get 133. 8MB cache is nice too... you may notice that.. I did when I went from some 2MB Maxtors to 8MB Western Digital!!

What else do you have for this system? I am selling a bunch of stuff in an effort to buy one of TFB's bikes!!

I have a 420W power supply, XP2800+ cpu, and a modded case with matching cd-rom for sale...

Grin
frankieB
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 15:20:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

thanks for the feed back...

as per the sale items, funny you should ask. i was looking at a amd 3200. are the bench marks going to be that different from a 2800 to a 3200?

pm me the prices, thanks!
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 16:55:19    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I agree with BB, going from ATA100 to ATA133 you won't see much of a difference.

BUT going from 2mb cache to 8mb cache, I saw a substantial improvement when using large files, which I do on a regular basis creating DVD's of family/friends home movies.

As for HD's where you will see the biggest improvment is if you can go into a Raid 0 configuration, meaning you'd have to have 2 HD's. Others here could explain that more. I just did a Raid 0 on a friends machine and saw a good increase in response.

As for the processor, if you're REALLY concerned about speed, the 3200 will be best. But the 2800 is a Barton core, and most likely you will get the best "bang for the buck" from it.
Dud3!
Forum abandoner

PostPosted: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 22:00:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The only HDDs for me are made by Seagate.
T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sun, 08 Aug 2004 03:59:10    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

With Seagate upping their warranty to 5 years, should definatly give them a leg up on the others.
they've always had good performance, but it's nice to see they beleive they are making a product that will last.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 08 Aug 2004 11:41:39    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Is Seagate doing that on ALL products or just things like SCSI/SATA?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: