Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
In-Win 10-in-1 USB Digital Memory Card Reader
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 11:04:46    Post Subject: In-Win 10-in-1 USB Digital Memory Card Reader Reply with quote View Single Post

Memory card readers have become a common upgrade as people try to simplify the use of all the various media with one integrated device. I was impressed when ioCombo.com sent over a 9-in-1 card reader for a recent review, but they have "one upped" themselves with the In-Win 10-in-1 USB Digital Memory Card Reader. - The Review

Last edited by Doctor Feelgood on Fri, 28 Apr 2006 14:15:10; edited 1 time in total
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

virtualviews
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 20:29:31    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Great review!

I'm thinking about ordering this device, but I'm not sure it's going to work well with my computer (Dell Dimension 8400)

I know for sure that I don't have any firewire, which is OK, but what do you do with the cable? Does it disconnect from the cr-i530 or is it hard wired?

Also, my computer does not have any USB headers on the motherboard. I do have 1 header on an extra PCI USB adapater that I could use. Is that enough? It looks like the device requires two USB headers?

Finally, I'm not even sure if there are any open audio headers on my motherboard, either. I know there is a headphone jack on the front of the computer, but I'd really like to get a microphone jack up there, too. What do I need for audio?

Any more info would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Drew
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 20:42:09    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi, thanks for dropping by... The cables are all hardwired to the device, so you'll have to just tuck it away somewhere.

The USB connections on the device are split into what looks like two connections, but many have them molded together as one. I am unsure what you have for a connection on your card, but if the connection has 2 rows of 5 pins each, you will be fine!

You should trace the wire to your headphone jack back to your motherboard. See what kind of connection there is... You would also need something with 2 rows of 5 pins each. Dell doesn't always follow the standard layout, so I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't match up.

With so many card readers out there, there may be one better for you if some of these connections would wind up going unused...

Thanks!

Jason
virtualviews
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 21:31:59    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Thanks for the fast reply!

I took another look at my motherboard - it's not looking good for using this device.

Here is a pic of the connector on the USB PCI card:

The only thing it's got is a standard connector and that 4 pin dealy.

I couldn't find an audio connector either. Sad

The only thing that look remotely like an audio connector was this:

This is listed as a "Telephony" connector in the user manual. A standard audio cable that you might use in a sound card seems to fit here, but I'm not sure if it's useable...

Should I scratch this device?

Any suggestions for another card reader maybe?

Regards,

Drew
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 22:21:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yeah, looks like a bust for your system... But, those four pins behind the USB connector may be a header for the type of connector you need... Even so, you would be able to use 1/2 of the USB functions, 0 of the Firewire, and 0 of the audio... not worth it (to me).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Storage All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: