Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Upgrade C: problem :S
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Empty_5oul
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 17:53:46    Post Subject: Upgrade C: problem :S Reply with quote View Single Post

Hi,
I recently upgraded my computer as i had viruses and problems to lose - but since upgrading i seem to have gained more problems Confused . i now have a new 40gig drive (cSmile for windows and 160gig for "stuff". i put my old 80gig drive back in so i could copy across the few docs etc i wanted to save but cant access the my documents folder - When i double click i get "access is denied". i have tried accessing it across the network, zipping it, putting to disk etc but cant get in.
when i only run from the 80gig drive (windows is still installed) i can obviously still access this as my desktop background is a pic from "my pics" - though when windows has booted the system seems to crash. ** i can move the mouse but keyboard dont work and no apps or desktop shortcuts will run :S

if anyone has any thoughts on this or any kind of solution please reply, also if you are unclear in my problem or want more information please reply, thx
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 18:27:55    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Sounds like the Microsoft security is working!! I'll have to look around for the way around that...
T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 19:12:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

when you have the 80 in alone (or maybe with the 160 as slave) (you need to boot from the 80, for this to work) reset all security/share settings to low)
As BB points out, MS is secure, when you want it least Confused , the problem is a works as designed feature to prevent some one from stealing just your drive and opening it on another computer.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 20:01:18    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

What version of Windows?
Empty_5oul
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 03:42:06    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

k thx for quick replies as i want to get the prob sorted soon Razz

i am currently running xp pro on the 40gig and 80gig drives.

in response to tshirt the 80 is always a slave just for documents etc with the 40 holding all my windows and programs.
Empty_5oul
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 03:44:58    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

ive jst been having a play with the 80 - i can access "guests" account and looki in the my docs, my music, my pics etc but i didnt have anyhting there as the guests account has never been used - saying this i can see the default pics that microsoft give you (sample pictures).
i dont know if this helps or complicates the issue but i thought it was worth mentioning
T-shirt
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 09:01:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

OK
Can you get into the admin or whatever your normal account is?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 10:44:12    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

OK... Go to:
My Computer
Right click on the drive & choose "Sharing & Security..."
Click the "Advance" button
Go to the "Owner" tab
Click your account in the "Change owner to" box
Check the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" box
Click ok and wait for it to be finished.

That SHOULD allow you then full access to everything on that drive.
Empty_5oul
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:41:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

right, tshirt i am the admin and the only user there are NO other accounts - i dont even log in it is set to auto and i am the admin with full access etc.
on xp-pro when i right clikc i dont have an advanced button Confused and cant therefore access the owner tab

i have manually tried sharing the folder but i get "sharing failed", though i can share other files such as my Unreal Tournament folder with no probs ??
Empty_5oul
Rated PG

PostPosted: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:52:18    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

forget that last post i have found i needed to stop "simple file sharing" and take my comp off the network before i could gain access to the folders i needed and the actual security tab

u cant stop simple file sharing on xp home so lucky i got pro lol Razz
--under introductiion (is spelt wrong on microsoft site): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=307874
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: