Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Desktop PC Platform: Killed By Overclocking
benchmarkreviews.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 14:02:04    Post Subject: Desktop PC Platform: Killed By Overclocking Reply with quote View Single Post

Enthusiasts have lost sight of the original purpose behind overclocking, which was made popular because it could make something slow become fast, thereby getting something more for your money. Then at some point the computer industry went from asking consumers to pay more for the faster products, to demanding you pay more for products you might be able to make faster. This article will focus on one of the lesser-known threats to the desktop PC platform: overclocking. benchmarkreviews.com
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Ryuujin
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 18:41:57    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Maybe in the past overclocking is needed. However, nowadays overclocking seems to be just for enthusiast, aka people who wanna say look how much ive overclocked my computer.
mynameisthis
Rated PG

PostPosted: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 20:57:41    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I have to disagree, overclocking is still useful. I just don't like how nowadays overclocking is the only way you can get the real value of some products, like many graphics cards and the AMD Phenom "Black Edition." All the black edition does is make it easier to OC, but hey that stuff sells -_-.

This article is dead on, nice post.
Ichiro
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 12:49:33    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

In the end, overclocking IS overclocking, and you do get more than stock. Every bit counts.
jedihobbit
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 10:17:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Ichiro wrote:
In the end, overclocking IS overclocking, and you do get more than stock. Every bit counts.

Yes and no........I overclock now just to say "wow I managed to get XXX by doing YYY" and then for everyday use keep it fast but drop it back for longevity. I've noticed recently that the article is relevent because most games and production software just don't take advantage of "peak" performance.

DreamCatcher AM3 >> (Down Again) >> SG01 Evo, MSI 785GM-E65, PII X4 955(AQ H2O Cooled), XFX GTX285(EK H2O Cooled), Seagate 7200.10 ST380815AS 80GB, 2 x G.S. F3-12800CL7D-2GBPI, MODU82+ EMD525AWT, XP Home SP2
KestrelFlight >> (Under Construction) >> Zalman Z7+, MSI NF980-G65, PII X4 1055T, 2 x Galaxy 580GTXs, Zalman 32GB SSD, WD V'Raptor 300GB, 2 x WD 1 TB Blacks, G.S. F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD, Zalman ZM1000-HP Plus , Win7
Oz1a v2.0 >> XFX MDA72P7509 750a, PI X2 8870BE, 2 x XFX GTS250, WD 250GB, F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK, Tt TR2 600W, XP Pro SP3
JohnnyWarbucks
Rated PG

PostPosted: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 08:34:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I know this is an older thread, but I do think, especially now, that overclocking is not really all that useful. Desktops are on their way out, and laptops are going that way too. I was a huge PC gaming fan growing up, but haven't had any time to do it for a little while now.
JimBowy

PostPosted: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 09:36:09    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

i disagree jonny - desktops are far from on their way out

if you want to get actual work done - you use a desktop. tablets and phones are fine for games but not for content generation

Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Overclocking, Cooling, and Modding All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: