Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Rooted or Jail-broken?
Is your phone liberated?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 23:28:15    Post Subject: Rooted or Jail-broken? Reply with quote View Single Post

Just wondering if you use your phone as it was sold - or if you have rooted or jail-broken it?

I have two Androids now - and the wife has one, too... All have been rooted and plenty o'crap has been removed and some refinements have been made.

The second of my phones is actually stripped pretty far down and runs without any kind of phone plan. It mostly for music and games and taking pictures. Just has a Google Voice number and Groove IP to work off WiFi has a secondary home phone. So, an old 3G phone from AT&T with a T-Mobile SIM has new life thanks to a $5 app and a free phone number from Google. May port the home phone over and drop that service, actually.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 14:13:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Interesting.... I happen to have an old phone that I might look into doing that.

I haven't though rooted any of my phones, just haven't really felt like spending the time and because then I have to put in all the extra work keeping up on the updates.

But I have an old HTC Hero that I just might try doing what you did... just for SNG's.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 14:29:22    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Rooting my first phone (HTC ARIA) was a bit of work - but not brain surgery. The second and third are both Samsung Exhibit II's, and the whole process was maybe 2 minutes, and most of that was automated and just sitting back and watching. As far as updates go - I have automatic updates turned off anyway, and I am not expecting Android OS updates - just app updates.
Modulok
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 17:35:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

My Samsung Galaxy S II is rooted. Waiting for the popular ROM (Cyanogenmod) to be deemed stable.

I hate updates as well...the last one that went to my phone has decreased the battery life, and auto connecting bluetooth devices is hit and miss.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 18:26:37    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yeah, but some of those Android updates lately have been fixing some nasty security holes.

And you all know how much of a security Nazi I am Grin
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 18:47:58    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Cyanogenmod needs to fix a few more things on their ICS hack for the HP Touchpad and then I will be installing that, too...
JMBB
Rated R

PostPosted: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 16:51:43    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I've been looking into Jailbreaking but with my luck I would trash a perfectly good phone. Seems to be a very simple process so I may give it a shot one day.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

skarydrunkguy
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 23:13:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

JMBB wrote:
I've been looking into Jailbreaking but with my luck I would trash a perfectly good phone. Seems to be a very simple process so I may give it a shot one day.

Way to revive a long dormant thread... Smile

I actually rooted my first android device recently - a Huawai 7" tablet I picked up cheap to play around with. I was actually kind of a pita, but once it was fully working, its very nice. Of course I still use my damn iPad way more, but its nice to have something pocketable in case I need it. Plus, the old iPad is getting mighty slow with any new app and even most app updates. Bastards are trying to force me to get an iPad3...
turboinNYC
Rated PG

PostPosted: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 22:43:27    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

My Android is rooted pretty much just to get rid of tmobile's mound of bloatware.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Consumer Electronics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: