Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
WTB - Older/Lower end PC stuff
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 14:02:51    Post Subject: WTB - Older/Lower end PC stuff Reply with quote View Single Post

Hey guys - My daughter killed her laptop (broke the power connector off of the motherboard) and I don't want to buy here a new one right...

I happened to have some stuff laying around, but I need a PSU and Video card, so if anyone has some older ones or ones that came in a case that you upgraded. It needs to work with a AMD 939 class motherboard, and PCIe video card. Probably a 350w or so PSU would work.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 14:24:35    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Free 128MB ATI PCI (no e) video card if you get really desperate!
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 14:37:48    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

LMAO! Thanks, but Windows 7 would probably laugh and blow up the computer.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 15:14:57    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Ordered a video card from Ebay, found a Radeon HD 6570 for like $44 shipped and I think I found a PSU that will work around the house (really do normal people have "PSU's laying around the house???).
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 15:57:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I am apparently not normal... no comment.

If you still need a PSU and can find a sale - I bought an Antec 400ish watt unit from Newegg recently for like $30 shipped. Nice and quiet, and handles a basic system I put together with old parts.
skarydrunkguy
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 21:55:50    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Why not just solder the power connector back on? its actually ridiculously easy to do... I'm sure youtube will show you how for your specific model lappy as well.
JimBowy

PostPosted: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 07:50:09    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

good point skary - i had to replace a power connector on an older laptop. i didnt even have to solder mine on - it just bolted right to the board... its worthy to investigate
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 17:20:35    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

skarydrunkguy wrote:
Why not just solder the power connector back on? its actually ridiculously easy to do... I'm sure youtube will show you how for your specific model lappy as well.

Because it's not so easy... I took the laptop apart pretty far to do so, and would have to do so even further to do it. Where it is basically requires a complete disassemble of the laptop (minus the screen of course). Also the laptop battery is failing, there are black spots on the screen... it just isn't worth the effort.

If she ever pulls her head our her Full Moon and squares her stuff away I'll just buy here a new laptop - or maybe a tablet who knows.
knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 20:57:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I wish I could help ya. But all the spare pc parts I have are for PIII and K7 era computers. And they are all packed away still in storage tubs buried in the garage.
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 10:51:34    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Sad thing is, depending on what she uses it for, a cheap $150ish android tablet would probably be more than sufficient for her. One of the kids laughed about the idea, she got my old android phone when i upgraded my phone to the Droid 4, she hasn't used the computer in about 2 months...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> The Marketplace All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: