Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Site outage - what a joke!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 13:55:21    Post Subject: Site outage - what a joke! Reply with quote View Single Post

So - we were offline for just over 24 hours and the reason is insane to me. I am on vacation with limited Internet, so fighting this has been frustrating to say the least.

I tried talking to my host, but the techs on the phone said the techs that could help me are available by the ticket system only. Uggh.

Anyway - one of the sites on our server - which I also own - is a short link creator. I can not control the things that people link to, but if something is reported to me as abusive / inappropriate I will delete it.

Well, someone made a link with my short link creator and used it in a SPAM email... Then someone that received the email didn't report the destination URL as SPAM, they reported the short link URL (it wasn't reported to me, but to one of the SPAM agencies which contacted my host). My host is then not smart enough to see that it is just a short link, and suspends not only the short link site, but every site on my server, because I am apparently hosting SPAM sites.

I explain that I am not hosting that site and for them to look at the link - it just redirects elsewhere - but that I will gladly delete that link.

The whole process took way too long with huge lapses between ticket responses and I still can't believe they don't understand what a short link creator is. Even at the end, they are refering to the links as "users" or "sites" on my VPS. Their just tiny database entries which create links. Uggh.

To me it seems like they tried to kill a fly with a hand grenade... Except this isn't even a real fly, it is just a picture of a fly.

Anyway - sorry for the down time - and now back to vacation.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

JimBowy

PostPosted: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 14:33:23    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Wow man I was wondering what the hell was going on with the site. Glad you got it figured out. Now get back to your vaca!
mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 14:34:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

just admit it...you're a spammer
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 17:46:02    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I notice the site was down yesterday too.
Hellfire
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 18:01:13    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I was concerned it was due to issues from Irene...glad it wasn't that Smile

Now go back to vacation and enjoy that time...
germ
Rated PG-13

PostPosted: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 21:50:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Wait.....did someone say SPAM? Man I love that stuff with fried eggs. Smile
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 12:10:51    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Sorry J - I was just trying to make a little extra money selling p3n!s enhancers to little old ladies in the everglades. I'll be more careful next time.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

knight0334
Rated XXX

PostPosted: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 14:50:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

The site was down??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Site Information All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: