Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
ATI Fan Failure
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Wed, 31 May 2006 13:06:37    Post Subject: ATI Fan Failure Reply with quote View Single Post

Man this is getting old really fast. In almost exactly one year I have had two 9800 Pros die due to fan failure. Both of the cards went 6 months and then the fan died and the GPU over heated and was damaged in both cases. Newegg is RMA'ing the current card but it does not say much for ATI fans when two of them have died in short periods of time. Anyone else have this issue with an ATI card or am I the only lucky one?
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

DragonMaster
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 31 May 2006 19:43:08    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Sigh... It sucks!

Seems like a 3rd party cooler would solve some trouble.
edvallie
Put Beer Here

PostPosted: Wed, 31 May 2006 20:30:49    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

DragonMaster wrote:
Sigh... It sucks!

Seems like a 3rd party cooler would solve some trouble.

it probably would, but the cards should come with fans able to keep the card alive for years at default speeds. No experience with that kind of situation personally, I've yet to have an ATI card with a fan on the heatsink Grin

JimBowy

PostPosted: Wed, 31 May 2006 20:39:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I've seen nVidia fans die too....

I have a 9800 but my fan is still working.... I think.... ya it is....

BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Wed, 31 May 2006 21:10:05    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

My Tyan 9800 fan has no problems. And I know many, most of the 3rd party video cards use the stock ATi fans.

Maybe it's just those fans don't like the LA air!
DragonMaster
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Wed, 31 May 2006 21:13:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

They probably just put the cheapest fan they could. Bad, I know. Fans on MSI fans last longer. (My two latest cards were MSIs)
dadx2mj
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Wed, 31 May 2006 21:53:49    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Well I have a nice 3rd party copper hsf ready when I get a card back from Newegg RMA or should I say if....they dont have any 9800 Pro's in stock and since they dont produce them anymore not much chance they will. The lady I talked to did not know if they would give me an upgraded card (fingers crossed) or refund "current market value" of the card.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

JimBowy

PostPosted: Wed, 31 May 2006 22:47:25    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

dadx2mj wrote:
Well I have a nice 3rd party copper hsf ready when I get a card back from Newegg RMA or should I say if....they dont have any 9800 Pro's in stock and since they dont produce them anymore not much chance they will. The lady I talked to did not know if they would give me an upgraded card (fingers crossed) or refund "current market value" of the card.

keep us posted! Wave

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Wed, 31 May 2006 23:13:57    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

My ATI card from Gigabyte was failing soon after I bought it... Switched it for the Thermaltake cooler I reviewed (and then quickly shipped it off to Hellfire... Laughing ).

Grin
DragonMaster
Rated NC-17

PostPosted: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 11:39:19    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Quote:
My ATI card from Gigabyte was failing soon after I bought it...

Looks like MSI cards are not that cheap after all. My MSI X1600 has Infineon RAM and my MSI Ti4200 has OS-CON capacitors (Pretty high quality).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Go To Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: