Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Looking for a budget/HTPC system?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 18:38:06    Post Subject: Looking for a budget/HTPC system? Reply with quote View Single Post

I just put together a budget system for my kids (would make a pretty good HTPC too). If you're looking to make a good budget system and won't be playing a lot of games on it right now, but have the upgrade ability to do so.... here's what I just put together:

MotherBoard: MSI RS480M2-IL Radeon Xpress 200 - Socket 939, ATA/SATA RAID, PCI-E (16x) and PCI slots, Built in 10/100, Sound, and Video (Basically an ATi X300).
Reason: Cheap way to get into PCI-E video with out having to buy a card right now. All my video cards are AGP, so it was an added expense. And since little to no gaming will happen on this system right now. Offers me a great upgrade path too considering it's Socket 939.

CPU:
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Processor (Venice) Socket 939
Reason: Newest core (non X2) from AMD. Socket 939, cheapest, and still should be fast enough for a long time.

HDD:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 160GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer
Reason: Best bang for buck... Seagate, 5 yr warranty, NCQ, SATA.

CD/DVD Burner:
NEC ND-3520A 16X Double Layer DVD±RW
Reason: Cheap, and I've had good luck with the NEC drives.

Now I have some RAM, a case, PSU and Keyboard/Mouse so I didn't have to buy those, and I have legit copies of Windows 64 to put on it. I will probably pick up a LCD monitor for it though. But the grand price for all that was only $368.97 all with free shipping (and no taxes for me). For less than $50 you can add 512MB DDR, and you can pick up a case & PSU for less than $50 as well.
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 19:53:04    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I wish ZZF had more pics of their goods, ala Newegg.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 20:43:44    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Yea, but I first shop newegg (cause their site is better) then check around. Grin This time NewEgg got part of my order, and ZZF got the majority of it.

NE's new shipping cost are putting a dent in their bottom line prices.
BeerCheeze
*hick*

PostPosted: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 16:34:32    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

One thing to note... I am currently putting this system together, and MSI apparently doesn't belive in the whole concept of running XP x64 on their AMD 64 motherboards....

I had to hunt for the right x64 drivers. Nice job MSI.
mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 11:41:03    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dr. EvilCheeze wrote:
NE's new shipping cost are putting a dent in their bottom line prices.

Gotta pay for that Jersey warehouse somehow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: