Bigbruin.com
Home :: Reviews & Articles ::
Forum :: Info :: :: Facebook :: Youtube :: RSS Feed
Search  :: Register :: Log in
Making an old POS run just a bit faster
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timberwolfblues
Rated R

PostPosted: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 13:52:13    Post Subject: Making an old POS run just a bit faster Reply with quote View Single Post

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about a problem I am having. I got this computer from work. It was free so I'm not complaining or anything. It is a Dell Dimension of some kind and it has a Slot 1 processor if that tells yo how old it is, that runs at 333Mhz. I got a slot 1 processor of Ebay for like $12.00 with shipping and snapped it into the board. Now the friggin' borad only sees 300 Mhz and the new one that is in there is a 450 Mhz. Could this be a propritary problem? Or is it really that old? Both are Pentium II's and it has 128 MB of RAM on it. Old but good to screw with command line Linux on nonetheless. Any ideas? Thanks!
Little Bruin
Boo Boo

Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 14:06:36    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Old boards may have jumpers you have to position in order to change the speed and multiplier in order for the full speed to be used. Did you get a manual? Or can you get one?

Once you get it up to speed, some more memory may be the best, cheap way to get the most out of it.
timberwolfblues
Rated R

PostPosted: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 14:31:53    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

I'll see if I can get a manuel or access to one although it is highly doubtful.
Doctor Feelgood
Arrrrghh!

PostPosted: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 14:48:42    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

If not, take a look at the motherboard for either a model number to look up online or for a bank of jumpers... They may be labeled on the board itself.
mrweasel
I can haz cheezbrgr?

PostPosted: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 16:26:16    Post Subject: Reply with quote View Single Post

Dell's a notorious for locking the spces on products so you have to upgrade. That might be a much older system that is maxed at 450. What's the model number on the Dimension(probably something like XPS T___, or XPS r____), that would help to determine the fastest CPU/max RAM you can install in that machine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bigbruin.com Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: